South Florida Gathering--Nov 4th thru 6th 2011

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
sorry everyone..i didnt leave out the other categories on purpose.  I just updated the info post with the other challenges.  let me know what you guys think about the way i set it up...i'm thinking that the chicken can be the first challenge with a proposed end time of 1pm...so the challenge judging and lunch and be around the same time.  Also the Ribs and the "Something Special" (do we like that name?) can be "dinner". 

obviously like we said there will be a constant flow of food throughout the day so we have no "set eating times".  So what do you guys think? i by no means want to be the dictator of this so please tell me if you have other ideas for this.  I have never been involved in a cooking competition so i'm sure some of you have a lot more experience. 

Hi All,

Two adults coming, maybe two more, haven't confirmed yet. I'll be bringing my ECB (it's all I could fit in my

car) a charcoal grill, and my crockpot (chili).

I"ll be putting my menu together in the next couple of days and will post, but will probably consist of BBR,

chicken, chili, and I'm definitely going to do a fattie Saturday morning. Various veggies and ABT's.

I'm really getting excited about this event. I'm still on board with three categories for friendly competition:

Ribs-Chicken-Wild Card (ABT's or Fatties or anything we all want to agree on.) I'm going to start hunting

trophy makers and snag us three of them, so I'll need to know what that third category is going to be for

the engraving. If you want it to be just a Ribs comp. let me know as well.

James
James...just a reminder that as of right now there is no electricity at the site.  i do not know if there is a outlet close enough to run a power plug.  i have a high gauge 25' cord if we need it and i'll also have a power inverter for my truck but not sure if that'll be sufficient.  hopefully we'll know closer to Nov. if power will be turned on or not. 

hopefully we will have power!

Turnip and Mrs Turnip have made their reservation for site F8 and will be attending. Dogs are staying home.

It's father from the rest of y'all than I'd like to be, but the facilities there are more conducive to Mrs. Turnip's comfort.

Alas, Turnip has no kind of portable smoking equipment, but will bring along a small Weber grill.

I would be more than happy to bring along a couple of butts for someone to "experiment" on. I mean, "to demonstrate their mad skills" on.

I need a volunteer to do the cooking so I don't end up with meat going to waste.

I could bring a small genny, but it seems that the area of the camp that is selected doesn't allow for their use.

TM

Let me know how the camping spots are filling up.

Me being old and grouchy I would he quite happy to have a spot a distance from the kids and dogs..   Hahahahhahaha

Have a great day!!

Craig
Craig, not sure if i missed your post or not..have you called to make your reservation?

Competitions....

What do you guys think about the layout of the comps? Chicken competition for "lunch time" saturday and ribs and "something special" for "dinner" saturday night? if everyone is cool with that, let me know which comps to put you down for.  Chicken, Ribs, and Something Special

Competitions....

What do you guys think about the layout of the comps? Chicken competition for "lunch time" saturday and ribs and "something special" for "dinner" saturday night? if everyone is cool with that, let me know which comps to put you down for.  Chicken, Ribs, and Something Special

I like it..I like it indeed. I'll be in the Chicken and something special categories. Thanks Doug...James

Doug, I have a question for you.

In the something special category, does the dish need to be prepared on site?

We were thinking about chili or gumbo, but it would need to be prepared the day before then heated up for dinner.

We might just bring something like that anyway.

If we can enter it, great. If not that's OK.

We can just share it with all the folks that are there.

Big Al,

My thoughts are the same as Doug's. I can think of no reason to disallow

a dish simply because it was prepared off site.

Chili or Gumbo you say??? I say bring them with an extra large bowl for me...James

yea...all entries can be submitted from outside the camping area...its a friendly competition!

I thought I'd read from an earlier post that there might "not" be electric. Strange,

but it is camping I suppose. Imagine, no electric...how are bold and rugged

outdoorsmen supposed to cope with that???? My hair doesn't just blow dry itself.

I thought I'd read from an earlier post that there might "not" be electric. Strange,

outdoorsmen supposed to cope with that???? My hair doesn't just blow dry itself.

th_roflmao.gif

Will electric be available for a crock pot?

when i spoke to the lady she said they were fighting with FPL about this...there are outlets at each spot but FPL will not turn them on till they get some kind of permit.  we can check when it gets closer...maybe call them mid-october?  a friend of mine is giving me a power inverter for my truck so we could possiby run power off vehicles?

LOL!!

when i spoke to the lady she said they were fighting with FPL about this...there are outlets at each spot but FPL will not turn them on till they get some kind of permit.  we can check when it gets closer...maybe call them mid-october?  a friend of mine is giving me a power inverter for my truck so we could possiby run power off vehicles?

LOL!!

OK thanks Doug. We are still undecided what we are going to cook, so I guess the best thing is to prepare for no electricity. It's not a big deal, a charcoal fire & a dutch oven is as good or better than a crock pot. Can't wait to meet all you guys & gals!

Hi Everybody,

Judy & I took a ride down to the campground today, to check out the campsites & buy some gator tail. The lady there suggested we move to a group site (site 48-49). I looked at sites 22-28 & also the group site & I think everyone would be happier at the group site. It has electric, there is a very large area for us to be in shaded by a huge oak tree, with tables underneath & even has a fire ring. The bath house & restrooms are right next to it and there is a large screened in patio area adjacent to the bath house. It has electric outlets, lighting & ceiling fans. I don't think the nightly fee will be much more than the other sites and if you'all decide on switching Judy & I will pay for the screened in patio for Saturday & Saturday night. This way we won't have to worry about the weather or bugs. It would be a perfect place to set up the food tables. The lady said if you have already reserved a spot she would just change you to the group site. I think Dave said youngone is the only one other than him who have registered already. If it's OK with you youngone & the rest of you folks going down there to make the change, then just let me know so we can change sites & I can get the screen room reserved for us.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky