south/east Asian chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

moikel

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 26, 2011
Sydney &Greenwell Point Australia
Im going to come at this yardbird deal from a different direction. No surprise there
biggrin.gif
 If I tweak the brine ,use palm sugar,coconut juice,curry powder,lemongrass,lime leaf,galangal in the water. Then spritz it when its smoking  with similar flavours .Serve it with satay peanut sauce, sort of a take on the famous chicken satay that gets served where ever Malaysians are on the stove or those charcoal grills that they fan furiously by hand.
drool.gif

I will follow the path that you guys have shown me by doing it in the MES I will just wander off a bit in the direction of Asia.

Give me a day or 3,I will do it on weekend.

icon_cool.gif

Now thats a different sounding marinade for some chicken. But you never know

I was choosen to save the seats,so I have Popcorn and Pepsi,Ya'll bring you're beer if you want, I 9n the front.....
popcorn.gif
pepsi.gif

Stan   aka   oldschool
Just ran out to grab some coconut juice drink thats popular here with our Asian community. As usual Im just winging it on the totally new bit ,brine mix, & doing what I know ,satay peanut sauce.I dont know if you guys have seen/eaten the real deal chicken satay I will try & do it as authentic "old school" as I  can. I hate it when big food companies just knock off a traditional product & stick in a jar with or with out celebrity endorsement & tell you its the real taste of Asia,Indian,Texas or where ever. Its always a compromise on shelf life & middle of the road.

Tuesday here,I  have a bird from my butchers farm in the freezer. Ill get on it for w/e. 

icon_cool.gif

Now thats a different sounding marinade for some chicken. But you never know
Yeah I  know but palm sugar = brown sugar,curry powder = cajun spice mix,coconut juice is mostly water, lemon grass = lemon the other stuff is the same as putting in bay leaf or similar. I hope
laugh1.gif
. Im in unexplored territory,again,
439.gif
 but its not that big a leap from slaughterhouse brine I just moved the slaughterhouse to Malaysia. No icon for silent prayer to kitchen gods.

Its not that big a leap,I  hope 
pot.gif
 my marinade for chicken satay is,garlic,lemongrass ,turmeric ,coriander fennel,cumin sugar salt peanut oil..Make a paste with a little water or juice marinate cubed chicken thighs put on skewers grill. Theres a seperate spicy peanut sauce. Those spices are whats in a curry powder coconut juice gives it enough liquid to submerge a whole bird, the other bits will give some flavour. Cant hurt & Ive got my own kaffir lime tree,fresh turmeric etc that I  grabbed for photo in curry paste thread.

Its got a bit of a tropics/jungle feel ,if anybody has any suggestions post away. I didnt want to rub it on chicken because I  dont want to risk it going bitter on me if it takes too long to cook it all the way through.Or the palm sugar burning or ...

Peanut sauce is a big part of it will bump the chilli a bit,touch it with a bit of shrimp paste,crush raw peanuts,Ill post the recipe.I adapted it  I  certainly didnt invent it so its for sharing.

Its not that big a leap,I  hope 
pot.gif
 my marinade for chicken satay is,garlic,lemongrass ,turmeric ,coriander fennel,cumin sugar salt peanut oil..Make a paste with a little water or juice marinate cubed chicken thighs put on skewers grill. Theres a seperate spicy peanut sauce. Those spices are whats in a curry powder coconut juice gives it enough liquid to submerge a whole bird, the other bits will give some flavour. Cant hurt & Ive got my own kaffir lime tree,fresh turmeric etc that I  grabbed for photo in curry paste thread.

Its got a bit of a tropics/jungle feel ,if anybody has any suggestions post away. I didnt want to rub it on chicken because I  dont want to risk it going bitter on me if it takes too long to cook it all the way through.Or the palm sugar burning or ...

Peanut sauce is a big part of it will bump the chilli a bit,touch it with a bit of shrimp paste,crush raw peanuts,Ill post the recipe.I adapted it  I  certainly didnt invent it so its for sharing.
WAIT A MINUTE, HERE!!!!!!!!!  So if YOU invent a Recipe you KEEP IT TO YOURSELF and don't SHARE with us YANK'S!?!?!  That's IT...I'M FLYING OUT!...IT'S ON!!!...JJ
jk.gif

I gotta pay close attention to anything with the word "Asian" in it.

During my stint in Hawaii, we (9th Div Vietnam returnees) were stuck in with a mess of Hawaiian NGs.

It was about 50-50. My Arty Repair Platoon Sgt was a Hawaiian NG named "Ako".

We had some great parties in the Arty shop, with ice & beer stuffed in some of the big gun tubes, like the 106 Recoiless (open the breech for a cold one).

But anyway, that old Ako made the marinade for the short ribs & chicken, and it was freakin' Awesome----Wish I was interested enough at the time to get the recipe.

Also I have never had Teriyaki Sauce as good as what I had at "The Rigger" in Honolulu.

So keep it up Moikel----I'm watching!!!

Thanks,

Bear

I gotta pay close attention to anything with the word "Asian" in it.

During my stint in Hawaii, we (9th Div Vietnam returnees) were stuck in with a mess of Hawaiian NGs.

It was about 50-50. My Arty Repair Platoon Sgt was a Hawaiian NG named "Ako".

We had some great parties in the Arty shop, with ice & beer stuffed in some of the big gun tubes, like the 106 Recoiless (open the breech for a cold one).

But anyway, that old Ako made the marinade for the short ribs & chicken, and it was freakin' Awesome----Wish I was interested enough at the time to get the recipe.

Also I have never had Teriyaki Sauce as good as what I had at "The Rigger" in Honolulu.

So keep it up Moikel----I'm watching!!!

Thanks,

Bear
I have a long list of things I wish I  had paid more attention to when I  was younger ,food & non food! I  cook more Asian in the summer  here because its lighter,fresher sort of vibe. Love those Thai salads,green paw paw,green mango ,banana flower & grilled satay with peanut sauce. We are having tropical storms here at moment & we used to be a long way from tropics. Hot,humid all day then thunderstorms torrential rain then it clears like nothing happened.

Ill knock out a few Asian things here Bear & see if I  can jog your memory.

Awww Mick...I don't want to make MONEY off you guy's!...JJ

WAIT A MINUTE, HERE!!!!!!!!!  So if YOU invent a Recipe you KEEP IT TO YOURSELF and don't SHARE with us YANK'S!?!?!  That's IT...I'M FLYING OUT!...IT'S ON!!!...JJ
jk.gif

What do you mean flying out,you obviously have been down here before.Not only do you have a satay sauce,a very good one available here since the 70s BUT THERE'S THIS PLACE.My local Malaysian diner 100 yards from work.When I ask who its named after,the girls smile & say Chef Jimmy very famous for  Laksa recipe.I say OK wheres Jimmy the girls all giggle & somebody out the back starts whistling Sinatra tunes.
ROTF.gif

Laksa is the most famous of Malaysian dish"s theirs was voted best in Sydney last year.
yahoo.gif
Very stiff competition.So I  had it in your honour ,damn fine it was to.$10 bucks with a bib & extra sambal. Its essentially a noodle soup,choice of chicken or seafood then its tofu bean sprouts ,veg ,very aromatic coconut soup. The test of any Malaysian kitchen,they either got it or they dont. Your legacy lives on it was lovely,are sure you didnt wander through Asia as a younger man?
b3d25ab7_IMG_0042.jpg
2ea86e8a_IMG_0041.jpg

LOL...Yeah...It was '72, I was just a little Chef, 10yo, passing thru all parts of Asia on my World Domination Tour...Well you know the rest Peanut Butter, Fish Sauce, Chiles, mixed up all my Fav's and BAM!...JJ

They do 2 types of Laksa, one with out coconut called assam laksa,lots of tamarind, chicken satay, nasi lemak, 3 curries ,roti, a couple of specials. Thats a best in Sydney food award in window & this is a tough town for restaurants at every price point. Im supposed to be eating salads & sushi but... its a hard door to walk past. Ill get down to the
72908759_IMG_0040.jpg
 serious business of smoking  this chicken soon.

I have a long list of things I wish I  had paid more attention to when I  was younger ,food & non food! I  cook more Asian in the summer  here because its lighter,fresher sort of vibe. Love those Thai salads,green paw paw,green mango ,banana flower & grilled satay with peanut sauce. We are having tropical storms here at moment & we used to be a long way from tropics. Hot,humid all day then thunderstorms torrential rain then it clears like nothing happened.

Ill knock out a few Asian things here Bear & see if I  can jog your memory.
The only thing I can remember Sgt Ako telling me was in his marinade was Soy Sauce, Sesame seeds & oil, and Ginger.

That weather sounds like the Mekong Delta I remember:

Perfect blue sky, not a cloud, yet it's raining like crazy for 2 hours, causing about 2 foot of standing water. Then it stops raining, and a few hours later the water is all gone.

Of course the land I was standing on was my base camp, and it was built by the 9th Div. It had been all water until we got there, and built the 40 acre camp.

Bear

The only thing I can remember Sgt Ako telling me was in his marinade was Soy Sauce, Sesame seeds & oil, and Ginger.

That weather sounds like the Mekong Delta I remember:

Perfect blue sky, not a cloud, yet it's raining like crazy for 2 hours, causing about 2 foot of standing water. Then it stops raining, and a few hours later the water is all gone.

Of course the land I was standing on was my base camp, and it was built by the 9th Div. It had been all water until we got there, and built the 40 acre camp.

Bear
Vietnam only 9hours from here,very popular tourist destination now. SAFE.We lost 88 killed to the Bali bombers out of a total of 220 . Funny how the world turns,safer in a country we were at war with,side by side with the USA,than in a country we have given millions of $$ in aid ,education,military training etc. 

Anyway back to food,sesame oil is strong real chinese ingredient,let me play around with it Ill do some chicken skewers or similiar.

If you have an idle moment youtube Bic Runga,very famous singer from NewZealand. Her father is a maori who met her chinese mother when he was on R&R in Malaysia before going back to Vietnam.Mom was a singer in a nightclub. I dont know your taste in music but she is really something. Theres a song called get some sleep,just a thought.She has a big catalogue of songs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky