Sous Vide double seared Backstrap with demi-glace, wine and mushroom cream reduction; steamed carrots, pasta, and bacon feta brussel sprouts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Been doing a lot of cooking with the sous vide lately. This cook was at the firehouse last week. First order of business was to get the sous vide cooker up and running to temp. (125*F).

1595383376956.jpeg

Next was to trim the back straps, lightly season with a dash of worcestershire sauce, sea salt, and black pepper, then sear whole pieces in a blazing hot cast iron skillet in bacon fat.
1595383377581.jpeg

Once the meat was all sealed up in vacuum bags and in the sous vide cooker, it was time to let them cook for a couple hours before getting the sides together. (total of 3.5 hours on the backstraps).

The bacon was for the broiled brussel sprouts.

1595383358287.jpeg

Sprouts
bacon crumbs
caramelized onion
feta cheese
3~4 TBSPs. fig and pepper jelly for a glaze
sea salt and black pepper

When the backstrap was done cooking in the sous vide bath, the steaks were cut 1 1/4" thick and seared on the cut edge in a cast iron skillet with butter...then plated immediately.

The plate:
Sous vide backstrap with demi-glace, wine and mushroom reduction; fig and pepper jelly glazed brussel sprouts with bacon and feta crumble; steamed fresh carrots; and pasta

1595383357571.jpeg

So tender you could almost cut it with a fork! This was even more tender than some beef filet Mignon I have had!

1595383356897.jpeg

It was a fantabulous meal! Top notch and one that we will definitely be doing again.

It was one of those meals where the entire plate was a symphony of intense flavors that complimented each other beautifully! The steak was the star of course, but the brussel sprouts were off the chart good!

Wow. Looks great. I have to see if my sv unit still works

Holy cow that’s a plate of delicious comfort right there! Very nice!!
Thanks xray. Blew me away how tender that steak was! Sous vide is my favorite way to do wild game steaks.
Very nice, and nice of you to cook for your coworkers.
Thanks winterrider, but I don't work there, my cousin does (he is like a brother to me) and we cook there often.

Boy that meal is a beauty for sure!
I’d just devour that plate!
Al
Thanks Al! T'was real good my friend!
How do I get a spot in line for a plate? That looks excellent!
Jim

Thanks JLeonard, well to get a plate, you'd have to be a fireman on shift that night....openings become available on occasion. <sarc>

Thanks JLeonard, well to get a plate, you'd have to be a fireman on shift that night....openings become available on occasion. <sarc>
I'm just a old fat broke down RN. I'll leave the fire fighting to you young brave men! And hats off to ya.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.