Sour Tasting Meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dvuong

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014
Daly City, CA
I've been noticing that the meat I've been smoking has a bit of a sour taste to it.  I'm wondering if this is because of the pellets I use or the mustard...

I apply yellow mustard to the meat before applying rub.  I smoke using PitMasters pellets mixed with a little bit of charcoal pellets from Todd in the AMNPS.  

I'm pretty sure it's not my rubs or the meat itself gone bad.  What do you guys think? 

I've been noticing that the meat I've been smoking has a bit of a sour taste to it.  I'm wondering if this is because of the pellets I use or the mustard...

I apply yellow mustard to the meat before applying rub.  I smoke using PitMasters pellets mixed with a little bit of charcoal pellets from Todd in the AMNPS.  

I'm pretty sure it's not my rubs or the meat itself gone bad.  What do you guys think? 
If you always get your meat from the same store, I would try buying it at a different store and see if you get the same results.

If you are already buying your meat at different stores and still getting the same sour results, then I would try using a different pellet like oak, pecan, hickory, mesquite, etc. and see if it makes a difference.

I'm thinking it's the way you operate your smoker..... You did not give us any information to make an informed opinion....

I'm thinking it's the way you operate your smoker..... You did not give us any information to make an informed opinion....
I have the MES 40 BT.  I usually smoke my meat at 225-250, and monitor temperatures using a thermoprobe thermometer.  I have smoked using racks 1-3 and sometimes single rack.  

AMNPS is set on the floor of the smoker, raised up a couple of inches with legs and sometimes put on the lowest rack.  The vent is always kept open.  

I have the MES 40 BT.  I usually smoke my meat at 225-250, and monitor temperatures using a thermoprobe thermometer.  I have smoked using racks 1-3 and sometimes single rack.  

AMNPS is set on the floor of the smoker, raised up a couple of inches with legs and sometimes put on the lowest rack.  The vent is always kept open.  
What is the temp of your meat when it goes into the smoker?  Frig temp or room temp?  Cold meat can develop creosote

Is your meat dry?  Wet meat can develop creosote 

What is the temp of your meat when it goes into the smoker?  Frig temp or room temp?  Cold meat can develop creosote

Usually a little cooler than fridge temp.  It's usually about 55 degrees.

I would try and start changing one variable at a time to find the source. You could start with the pellets to see if you just don't like the pitmaster blend (although it is my favorite). If that doesn't do it then change your rub (or better yet smoke something naked). Or try the rub with no mustard. Everyone's pallet is different so it is hard to tell if you are having a "problem" or are just adverse to a certain flavor you are using. 

Temp of the meat or wet or dry makes creosote that's a new one on me??

Last edited:
I agree with bmaddox..the only way to figure out what's causing the issue is to change one variable at a time.  It may also help to keep a smoking log to keep track of what you've tried and changed.

Could be the meat.  Could be the mustard.  Could be the rub.  Could be the pellets.  Could be temp of the meat going in, could be temp of smoker........

A log would help you narrow down these variables.

Temp of the meat or wet or dry makes creosote that's a new one on me??
I agree, this is a new one to me...i've smoked meats straight out of the fridge, sitting at room temp for a hour, and even (when time ran low) partially frozen still and had the same results. If your meat is sour tasting i'm thinking maybe your over smoking it. Do you have smoke billowing out of the smoker the entire time or do you eventually get a nice even, blue line of smoke coming out of the top? 

It may be as simple as the Pitmasters pellets causing the issue. More than one person has reported tasting a Sour note smoking with Hickory. You may just be sensative to it.

Any time you burn wood, including pellets, there is some creosote generated but the AMNPS burns clean TBS, the amount is very small and insignificant compared to the overall result...JJ

Last edited:
I have used the MES for over 5 years and for the last 2 years with the amns or amnps. Never had a sour taste. The pitmaster blend is stronger flavored than some of the others?

I run top vent wide open and remove the chip loader chute from the unit to provide maximum air flow..

Cold meat or wet meat has noting to do with it. first thing i would do is try a lighter pellet like apple.

if you still have the problem then it is something in your seasoning or technique.

That;s when you start removing / changing one item at a time till you figure it out.

One last thing . Have you cleaned the inside of your smoker?  Creosote will build up inside an electric smoker just like any other type. When you smoke moisture forms inside the cabinet and combines w/ the creosote. this will drip down on your meat.

It may be as simple as the Pitmasters pellets causing the issue. More than one person has reported tasting a Sour note smoking with Hickory. You may just be sensative to it.

Any time you burn wood, including pellets, there is some creosote generated but the AMNPS burns clean TBS, the amount is very small and insignificant compared to the overall result...JJ
Hmmm.. That's interesting.  I've never heard of hickory being sour

I have used the MES for over 5 years and for the last 2 years with the amns or amnps. Never had a sour taste. The pitmaster blend is stronger flavored than some of the others?

I run top vent wide open and remove the chip loader chute from the unit to provide maximum air flow..

Cold meat or wet meat has noting to do with it. first thing i would do is try a lighter pellet like apple.

if you still have the problem then it is something in your seasoning or technique.

That;s when you start removing / changing one item at a time till you figure it out.

One last thing . Have you cleaned the inside of your smoker?  Creosote will build up inside an electric smoker just like any other type. When you smoke moisture forms inside the cabinet and combines w/ the creosote. this will drip down on your meat.
It's a fairly new smoker...  It's only had a few smokes in it so the interior isn't too dirty.  

I'm smoking some trout right now using the same pellets so we'll see how that turns out.  I've got plans to do a packer and a flat this evening for consumption tomorrow.  I plan to use oil instead of mustard as the base.  

Usually a little cooler than fridge temp.  It's usually about 55 degrees.
Are you sure of this?  55 degrees is considerably warmer than the temperature of a refrigerator.  

Also, you do not want billowing white smoke but thin wispy smoke.

Are you sure of this?  55 degrees is considerably warmer than the temperature of a refrigerator.  

Also, you do not want billowing white smoke but thin wispy smoke.
Sorry - I meant warmer.. Not cooler than fridge temp. 

Try warming the meat in the smoker WITHOUT smoke until the meat gets to above ambient temps... Have the smoker about 110-120... have the exhaust wide open so the meat surface will dry.... then start the smoke...

Last edited:
I always run what ever I'm smoke for about 30-40 minutes at 125-135 with the fan running in my smoker to dry the meat!  Ive never had  a problem with bad taste from wet meat but have tasted it!  It comes from wet meat with billowing smoke!!  But i agree with some others here Id change pellets or try without!  Never have heard of the mustard causing a problem but there is always first time!  Im sure u will get it figured out!

Hmmm.. That's interesting.  I've never heard of hickory being sour
It may be a perception thing...One may describe the taste as Sour and another Bitter...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky