Soooo Many Choices

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hi All I might have a chance at buying th Brinkmann Smoke N pit, with all the mods/ baffle/extended smoke stack/tuning plates,2 temp controls,for only$140.00.Looks good in the picture.Only problem is it is lighter then Trailmaster. Don't know how well it will hold temps.
Was in Home Depot this morning looking forTrailmaster. They had 2 in the box but the boxes weren't in great shape.
Thanks Dan

Last edited:
welp.. see if you can get an honest answer from the seller as to why they are selling it... thinking I might know the answer already...

Hi All I might have a chance at buying th Brinkmann Smoke N pit, with all the mods/ baffle/extended smoke stack/tuning plates,2 temp controls,for only$140.00.Looks good in the picture.Only problem is it is lighter then Trailmaster. Don't know how well it will hold temps.
Was in Home Depot this morning looking forTrailmaster. They had 2 in the box but the boxes weren't in great shape.
Thanks Dan
Ask for a discount on the damaged boxes. then if the item is damaged you can always return it. Home Depot here is good about disconts on damaged boxes. also easy return policy.

As JD said. ask them why they are selling. Ask if they replaced it. If so what did they replace it with?

David

Hi All Here is the add for the smoker, looks new in the pic.
Thanks Dan

For sale Brinkmann Smoke 'N Pit Barbecue BBQ Smoker with modifications. $140
I'm selling this because I have 2 smokers, and I need to free up garage space.
It works great and is perfect for large parties.
Can be used as a smoker or easily converted to use as a charcoal grill.

Has been kept in the garage all it's life, and cleaned after every use.

Comes with manual and all original parts including large charcoal tray (pictured) for using it as a grill.

I made a few modifications to it to improve performance:
- Added 2 thermometers to better gauge smoker temperature
- Extended the chimney to improve flow of smoke across grill area
- Added baffles to eliminate hot spots and even out temperature across grilling surface. Both ends of the grilling area stay within 5-10 degrees of each other.
- Added a stainless charcoal basket to the fire box to provide more efficient burning.

Last edited:
Hi Demosthenes9 I did all the reading I could find on the Brinkmann Smoke N Pit. Some good, some bad I guess all depends on how you are going to use it, long smokes/short smokes/grilling.
I'm thinking he already did the mods so it must be working pretty good. So the $140 sounds pretty good to me.I won't be using it that much during the winter months, so holding temps shouldn't be a problem.
I know the Trailmaster is about 70 lbs heavier the Smoke n Pit.

Thanks Dan

Last edited:
Hi The Brinkmann Smoke N Pit sells for $179.00. This one has all the mods done and cured and ready to go.:yahoo: So for $140 not a bad deal.
The Trailmaster box was real heavy.It sells for 299.00, then I have to put it together and do all the mods.:devil:
To be continued..........

Thanks Dan

Hi All The decision is now over. I picked up the Brinmann Smoke N Pit for $140. It was in pretty good shape for 3 1/2 yr old unit,either he didn't use it much or took very good care of it.
I will post pics when I put it back together again, Had to take it apart so it would fit into my compact car. I did notice a gap around the firebox lid and where the vent is.
I'm going to give a test burn , then seal the gaps with Hi temp red silicone. The tuning plates and baffle were made out of thin metal , don't know if that would cause a problem. I'm assuming that they are there just to direct the smoke/heat, and not for heat retaining.The charcoal basket is just a vegetable grill type of wok thing, so another basket made from expended metal may be on the list of things to do.
Also going to paint the fire box and maybe the pit with hi temp paint.
Overall I'm quite happy with the unit.
Guy many thanks for fast replies and info.
Dan

Hi All No q-view yet, raining here for the next few days..I want to do a test cook and check for leaks, I'm sure I'll find enough to keep busy.
I already see a major gap on the side of the firebox door and on the side door, where the vent is, hope you can them see in the pics.Im going to have to buy a BIG tube of the sealant:yahoo:
Thanks Dan

Hi All Well I fired up the Smoke N pit today. Leaks are not bad,just around the pit lid/sides n front.
Temps are a problem also a 70* difference according to my Maverick 732, I'm using the food probe on one side as a thermometer. The 2 Smoky River temp gauges on each side are only off by 10*. Could it be that my Maverick 732 food probe is only good in meat?
There is a baffle by the firebox and 3 tuning plates, the plates are thin metal. I've got the plates by the baffle, so I'm thinking the heat should go away from there?
I wish I could post some pics,but for some reason the computer is still NOT cooperating.:wife:
All N All I'm happy with Smoke N Pit.. Just have to seal the lid..

Thanks Dan

Hi Temps were high 280-210 until the rain shower, then they dropped I can't get them back up again..This is all new to new. I added more charcoal and the temps are hovering around the 180 mark.
If I want to increase the temps open fire box vent all the way same with smoke stack?
After 1/2 bag of 20 lbs charcoal the ribs are now in the oven

Thanks Dan
I'll get the hang of this one day.

Hi David

Sure eats alot of charcoal.
Adjust the heat with the bottom vent=side box vent, smoke stack open full. Will give it a try next time.Just ordered some mini splits 2x6 this thing was eaten up chunks like crazy. I'll get the hang of this soon or run of money trying..:)
My baffle comes straight out towards the tuning plates. Maybe I should bend it downwards under the tuning plates. Also thinking of geting 1/8-1/4" tuning plates,t need to find someone in my area to cut them for me.
Thanks Dan

Last edited:
The metal on the smoker is very thin and does not like things like rain and especially wind - it will sap all your heat and you will have a heck of a time getting it back up. You might try drapping a welding blanket over the cook chamber to help block wind and retain heat. And you will definately need a better charcoal basket.

As for you clamps you might try these: http://www.thetoggleclampstore.com/431.html  , the other ones would work but are a huge amount of overkill for what you are doing. If you can put some fire gasket between the clamp bolting plate and the firebox body to help prevent the clamps from gettting to hot to touch.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky