Snack sticks on the Smokin'-It #3

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dang it man them look good so far,, I use Mitchlitch a lot,,, I really like the jap pepper snack stick,,,they have some great seasonings - can't wait to see when they are done and you verdict on the seasoning,,, I did their zesty summer sausage and it was good also 

A full smoker is a happy smoker - points 

helper looks like he is having fun also

DS

Awesome !!!

points.gif

The snack sticks turned out great, not over cooked or tough. Lessons learned: sheep casing are the way to go, spokane spice pepper stick seasoning have great flavor, not the same as I was going for (Hackenmueller's meats pepper sticks) but way better than my last attempts, don't combine Summer and snack sticks, maybe increase the pork from 15 to 25%, double grind through the 1/4" plate, keep using the Costco 88/12 ground beef. Need to cool off in an ice water bath.

I have enough casings for about 9,000 more pounds of meat so I'll keep practicing!

Last edited:
Looks tasty. I love those snack sticks.

Do you like the natural sheep casing better than the collagen slim Jim type?

Yes! Maybe it's just what I'm used to here and what I grew up with from the butcher shop. Or, my miserable last several attempts with tough and chewy casings (collegen)...

:Looks-Great:

A hank will go fast trust me. Just resalt them.

Just did, filled a ziplock with the remainder (approx. 99% left, we only used 4 strands for 10#+ of product) and dumped in about a 1/3 cup of non iodized salt.

Go fast? Not sure...that was pretty time consuming spread out over four days. Soaking, grinding, mixing, stuffing, curing, smoking, drying (dumped them in my chest fridge last night and there is a ton of condensation on them affecting snap), and packaging.

Go fast? Not sure...that was pretty time consuming spread out over four days. Soaking, grinding, mixing, stuffing, curing, smoking, drying (dumped them in my chest fridge last night and there is a ton of condensation on them affecting snap), and packaging.

Try putting them in brown paper bags when in the fridge... this will help keep them dry and preserve the snap...

Followed Spokane spice's recipe and it turned out great, nice texture and flavor...just needs some whole mustard seeds!

Try putting them in brown paper bags when in the fridge... this will help keep them dry and preserve the snap...

I know....

I'm drying them in front of a fan for now and will vac pac when done!

Dang it man them look good so far,, I use Mitchlitch a lot,,, I really like the jap pepper snack stick,,,they have some great seasonings - can't wait to see when they are done and you verdict on the seasoning,,, I did their zesty summer sausage and it was good also 

A full smoker is a happy smoker - points 

helper looks like he is having fun also

DS

The snack sticks are great...approaching commercial quality. The seasoning is fine, just a little different than my butcher shop's recipe that I'm trying to duplicate.

The summer sausage is perfect with 50/50 ground beef and pork, taste is great, needs whole mustard seeds...

Pretty happy how they turned out.

One more run to fine tune.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky