Smoking ribs from a new guy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dano1985

Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
Ok so I need some advice, I'm new to smoking and have a 30" masterbuilt smoker. I recently tried ribs and found my smoker brought the internal temp up to 16-170 in only 4 hours. Everything I read was to cool until 160-170 and it would be more like the 3-2-1 method. The ribs seemed over cooked. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks
Dan

Ok so I need some advice, I'm new to smoking and have a 30" masterbuilt smoker. I recently tried ribs and found my smoker brought the internal temp up to 16-170 in only 4 hours. Everything I read was to cool until 160-170 and it would be more like the 3-2-1 method. The ribs seemed over cooked. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks
Dan
I guess most people go by looks. When the meat pulls back an inch from the ends of the bones. When the slab bends easily at about a 90* angle. When going by temp I believe SmokinAl takes his to 195*F. I've seen a ThermoWorks recipe say 190*F. Just make sure your not checking the temp in a fat pocket or touching the bone.
-Kurt

Dan - Ribs are done when there is some pull back (shrinkage) from the ends of the bone.  Also, if you can slide a tooth pick into the rib between meat and bone with little to no resistance the ribs are done. As Kurt stated, if the slab bends easily, they are done.

As for the temperature, get a good remote thermometer and monitor the smoker temperature.  The built-in thermometer could be off. Maverick is good and reliable and affordable; the ones from ThermoWorks are much better and much more expensive. 

You stated the ribs seemed overcooked.  Why?  Too dry?  Tough?  How did they taste?  Baby backs, St. Louis style, country, or beef?  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky