Smoking cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Iagree4 that your temp is to high it is going to make your cheese gritty or it will start to melt  down and I am using apple wood its a little milder use the old stand by trial and error  its the old saying make it and they will come but try and keep it at 70 to 80 degrees

Hi smokers,
I recently learned that while smoking cheese in my masterbuilt,at 200degrees to place a tray of ice beneath the pan holding the cheese.and check until you get the color you want .
Next let the cheese sit in the fridge for one week.this will get the tarry bitter taste out.works well for me.

Trying my first go at cold smoking cheese. Kamado is at 54f. Hoping I can wait the next two weeks before I try it!

I am in the process of designing a cold smoker for the cold   smoking of chesses and  butter I am using my old little chief  smoker so time will tell

Brie smokes well but you do need to prick the outer skin with a toothpick in several places before smoking to allow the smoke to penetrate.

Blue cheese I have not found smokes particularly well as the smoke flavour tends to compete with the stronger flavour of the cheese. Some on here like it but I think it may be a case of try it yourself and see if it suits your pallet.

Thanks Dirtsailor and Wade for the good advice. Dec.7 I filled the Bradley up with 2 year old cheddar, jalapeno jack, 5 year old cheddar, a couple of wheels of brie and one small log of goat cheese. Gave them 2 1/2 hours of apple wood. Gifted a bunch of the 2 year old for Christmas - to rave reviews. So much better than the store bought smoked cheddar! My wife devoured most of the goat cheese at a sitting.

We're having a heat wave here in Manitoba, up to -5 C today (23 F) so I'm doing baby backs and ABTs for the family visiting from Montreal.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky