Smoking cheese. First attempt.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hi Wade.

Happy New Year!!!! You too and your Dad, Neg!!

You got a photo of your offset with cold smoking chamber please?

I did see a guy on TV, may have been Swedish or Finnish producing very expensive cold smoked salmon for the elite billionaires in London and he just use a small cast iron pot bellied stove/chimenia and 100mm metal ducting out of the top to an old garage unit.

Hi Brian

If you skip through the clip below to about 6 minutes 25 seconds you will see my last one in action

The one before that was my New Braunfels Bandera - you can just see it in the background.

As Tom mentioned above the firebox walls make a great heat sink.

Last edited:
Reactions: humdinger
That's interesting, your firebox looks like an old dishwasher. Hmmm, that's an interesting set up. Oh God, she's going to kill me.....again.

I see that having the remote smoke generator as Tom mentioned not only cools the smoke, but helps condense the stuff out of it you don't want, ie the creosote chemicals.

I'm going to have to keep my eye's open for some more bit's to do this.

It was fabricated by a friend who owns a food processing equipment service company. It is made totally from stainless steel. The main chamber was a large juice shipping container and the firebox a converted control box cabinet.

A steady air flow through the unit with the cold smoke will also help to prevent condensation and tar forming on the food. You are right though that pre-cooling before it enters the chamber will help a lot to condense out in advance. With my current cold smoker the smoke generator sits out to one side and the amount of tar that condenses on the lid is considerable.

When I get home I will take a photo of the inside of the lid.

It was fabricated by a friend who owns a food processing equipment service company. It is made totally from stainless steel. The main chamber was a large juice shipping container and the firebox a converted control box cabinet.

A steady air flow through the unit with the cold smoke will also help to prevent condensation and tar forming on the food. You are right though that pre-cooling before it enters the chamber will help a lot to condense out in advance. With my current cold smoker the smoke generator sits out to one side and the amount of tar that condenses on the lid is considerable.

Wade, that looks a lot better than the Frankensteins monster of a cold smoker I've just Cowboyed up in my garden haha

Last edited:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and proud parents always love their children - regardless of what they look like 
biggrin.gif
. I bet the things you smoke taste just as good though.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and proud parents always love their children - regardless of what they look like :biggrin: . I bet the things you smoke taste just as good though.

Aye, I smoked some more cheese on it last night, tried it straight off the smoker and the difference was unbelievable!

Hi

Just seen this on EBay for £30 could be used as an external fire box for cold smoking with a few holes and a bit of pipe work

Probably well I assume so but its of no issue for cold smoking the temps are not high enough to cause any problems it also acts as a heat sink so reducing temp

This is after about 80 hours of smoking. The inside of the smoke chamber has very little tar though so most condenses here in the fire box or passes through.

Last edited:
That looks like a viable option for my smoker. What I am looking for is something which does as Mr T mentions, ie cleans the smoke, but doesn't entail balancing the smoke chamber on something. How is the smoke distributed from the side box Wade, it looks like a stainless tube going through, does it have holes spaced along it?
Thanks for sharing Wade. Your smoker looks brilliant.

Last edited:
Yes it has a row of holes drilled along the under side. The end of the tube is open too. When I first started to use it I also had some stainless mesh above the tube as a baffle but soon found that I didn't need it.

I get it now, If you don't mind, I'll start getting stuff together to mod mine like this, I can see it would make a vast improvement to the smoke situation.

When I get round to it, I'll stick up piccys.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky