smoking beef for 30 people

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jossh27

Original poster
Jul 5, 2016
Having a bbq for about 30 people. Is there a formula for beef per person- if so what is it? I'm thinking brisket or top butt as a friend can get good deals on both. Be great

The caterers will give you one response, usually 1/4 lb to 1/3 lb per person.  I'm half Italian.  My grandmother and mom taught me if there aren't leftovers that people want to take home the meal was a total failure.  I shoot for 1/2 lb per person, more if they are a hungry bunch.  For 30 people, pick up a 12-15 lb brisket.  You'll be fine. 

1/4 to 1/3 Pound per person? For a VEGAN' TEA PARTY, maybe! 
ROTF.gif
 Just messing with ya, Ray. You are correct that many online charts say 4oz servings but I can tell you from experience that unless the party is Ladies...4oz is not enough.

For a single Protein 8 Ounce " Cooked " minimum. Men eat more, Ladies and kids, less. Brisket has a 50% Yield and Top Butt higher at 70%...

So, the Math...30 servings X 8oz each = 240 oz Cooked Beef / .5 %yield = 480 oz Raw Brisket needed / 16 = 30 Pounds Raw Brisket Needed...JJ

JJ is spot on. The other week I smoked a 13lb brisket for about 12 people and it was gone in 20 mins.
Everyone usually hits brisket hard.

Last edited:
JJ is about spot on. The other week I smoked a 13lb brisket for about 12 people and it was gone in 20 mins.
Everyone usually hits brisket hard.
Yes sir....at a minimum, 8 oz cooked per person. If you have more meat eaters, might have to increase it a bit more. The Chef's numbers are correct!

Thanks everyone! So with brisket its safe to say you need about 1 pound raw per person because you only yield half that amount cooked

Thanks everyone! So with brisket its safe to say you need about 1 pound raw per person because you only yield half that amount cooked
Yep...After trimming to 1/4" cap and cooking. The Top Butt is leaner and you cook no more than Medium so there is less weight loss from trim and cooking, thus a greater yield...JJ

Whoa, hold the phone!! Trimming cap!? I have some research to do

Whoa, hold the phone!! Trimming cap!? I have some research to do
Hey, if you want to leave the full Fat Cap on, you can. Here is a great Video on how it's done...JJ

That's a great video and really there's not much to trimming the cap-i think I'll be fine. Im using a wood pellet, electric smoker. Complete temperature control- basically a oven so i should be able to nail this brisket provided i don't over cook it

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky