Smoking a pork loin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
How long would it take to smoke pork loin on average? Could I start it around noon and have it done by dinner? I always thought it took a long time for smoking. If I have it wrapped in bacon would it stay more moist? Does that take away from the smoke flavor? New to smoking. Using a Bradley 4rack digital. Thanks!

How long would it take to smoke pork loin on average? Could I start it around noon and have it done by dinner? I always thought it took a long time for smoking. If I have it wrapped in bacon would it stay more moist? Does that take away from the smoke flavor? New to smoking. Using a Bradley 4rack digital. Thanks!
Pork loins don't take as long as some cuts. Of course it depends on the smoker temp and the size of the loin. A 2-4 pound loin should reach an IT of 145 in 4 hours with a smoker temp of 250*-265*. I've had some take less time and some take more.

Just did two 3.5 lb. loins this evening. Rubbed them (two different commercial rubs) and wrapped them tight for two hours (while I smoked 2 lbs. of mixed nuts), then put them in the Smokin Tex at 225 with three ounces of cherrywood chips, and three hours later they were at an internal temp of 150F. Shut it down, tented them with foil on a platter inside for 20 minutes, sliced the one, and it was perfectly cooked, just smoky, and juicy, one of the best pork roasts I've ever done. No brine, but juicy as anything. But...no smoke ring. How can I get more smoke and that nice pink ring? Lower temperature and longer time?

Lew

I have been told recently that you need to keep the smoker temp under 160 to get a smoke ring. I do it regularly with a 79 dollar electric smoker; it just takes patience, tending, and often sliding the lid half way (but keeping over meat) to keep temp that low.

Last edited:
I have been told recently that you need to keep the smoker temp under 160 to get a smoke ring. I do it regularly with a 79 dollar electric smoker; it just takes patience, tending, and often sliding the lid half way (but keeping over meat) to keep temp that low.
I have never hot smoked anything at that low of a temp! Here is a thread that will help you understand how the smoke ring is formed.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/128506/the-smoke-ring-mystery

Also could you please visit Roll Call & introduce yourself - we would like to meet you
smile.gif

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/133/roll-call

I
I have never hot smoked anything at that low of a temp! Here is a thread that will help you understand how the smoke ring is formed.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/128506/the-smoke-ring-mystery

Also could you please visit Roll Call & introduce yourself - we would like to meet you
smile.gif

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/133/roll-call

Just finished eating a pork loin smoked at 150-160 for 4 hours, than 200 for 1 hour. Nice ring, moist, and 150 in the center.

Couple of dumb questions. When someone says this "Shut it down, tented them with foil on a platter inside for 20 minutes", does he mean just loosely place a piece of aluminum foil over the meat in the shape of a tent instead of wrapping it completely?

Also, say if you have a  6 lb. pork loin. The rule of thumb say its approx. 1 hour per pound. (for estimating and planning the meal purposes, I know go by internal temps), So it would take approx. 6 hours to cook this loin. Now say I cut it in half. Now I have two 3 lb. roast. does this mean that now it would take approx. 3 hours to cook each one. Does the "load" on the smoker come into play?

I have an electric smoker by the way. Still learning.Thanks!

We are also just experimenting with pork loin and an electric smoker.  I am guessing you take the wrapping off the loin before it goes on the smoker?  We will cook until 140, and let rest.

Okay, we got the pork loin smoked.  We kind of combined several suggestions.  We injected the pork loin with olive oil, apple juice, and seasoning, wrapped it in saran wrap and let it sit in the refrigerator most of the day.  Then we dried it off, and covered it in the Texas rub a friend gave to us.  We put it the electric smoker and at about 135 degrees we started getting real hungry (we should have started earlier), so we wrapped it in foil and put it in the oven to bring up to 140.  We let it sit while we got the rest of the dinner ready.  We were very happy with the result. It was very tender and juicy.  My husband has some rosemary-chipotle sauce that he put on his, but I ate mine plain. I had taken the bbq sauce out of the fridge, but forgot to put it on.

Thanks guys for all the info, Im about to roast my first pork loin on our elec smoker today and needed some guidance. I too, am going to to do the

"pull it out at 145 degrees and let it sit 30 mins to an hour", and hope its great! I'm still a litte unclear on the temp for the smoker though...only  reference

to temp I saw for the smoker was 240?? I'll go back and see if I can find that out! But thanks for being here for us "newbies" Happy Smokin Weekend..Pattti

I
Just finished eating a pork loin smoked at 150-160 for 4 hours, than 200 for 1 hour. Nice ring, moist, and 150 in the center.
That's just silly to smoke it that low and add that much time just for a smoke ring.  Down right silly.  If you really wanted a smoke ring that bad, why wouldn't you use a different kind of smoker instead of the "$79 electric smoker"?

The 145 temp on pork is for intact muscle meat.

Ground pork, pork that has been injected, mechanically tenderized, prematurely probed, stuffed, or otherwise taken out of the category of "intact muscle meat" needs to go to 160.  Or so says the FDA.

If my intact pork loin doesn't have a little pink in the middle?  Dang!  I don't have a dog to feed it to?

Good luck and good smoking.

Last edited:

The 145 temp on pork is for intact muscle meat.

Ground pork, pork that has been injected, mechanically tenderized, prematurely probed, stuffed, or otherwise taken out of the category of "intact muscle meat" needs to go to 160.  Or so says the FDA.

If my intact pork loin doesn't have a little pink in the middle?  Dang!  I don't have a dog to feed it to?

Good luck and good smoking.
When you say injected are you referring to commercially injected?

I'm throwing one on the smoke tomorrow after injecting it with a mixture of vinegar and apple jam stirred together and liquified. Just goofing around with stuff.

Does that injection count since I "violated" the surface? It was trimmed, rinsed and dried before I gave it the needle though.

Thanks!

Oh, then using a pepper jelly as a glaze over apple wood. We'll see.

Last edited:
Hi all, just did a 4.1 Lb pork loin my MES 40 at 225 for 3 Hrs. internal temp 150. It's resting as I type, all your  advise took me  thru this, thanks very much. Will be thinking of all as we eat tonight.
yahoo.gif

145 IT then rest for 30 minutes wrapped in foil. I have done it like that, previously kept in a brine, and it was juicy and delicious.

Did this one this afternoon with 4-5 chunks of hickory and apple. Pulled it at 152 and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Nice smoky flavor and a good smoke ring!

Let it sit in a foil boat but put it directly on the grill for 15 minutes or so turning to get all sides.

So I grossly overestimated my cook time and won't be serving for at least 2 hours. I brought my 4# loin to 155 IT and it is now foiled, toweled, and resting in a cooler. Will resting it over 2 hours be an issue? Also, if need be, what is the best method of bringing it back up to serving temp if it cools too much? Thanks in advance!

So I grossly overestimated my cook time and won't be serving for at least 2 hours. I brought my 4# loin to 155 IT and it is now foiled, toweled, and resting in a cooler. Will resting it over 2 hours be an issue? Also, if need be, what is the best method of bringing it back up to serving temp if it cools too much? Thanks in advance!
I cover with foil then pile some old thick towels on top of it to keep it insulated.  It will keep the heat up for quite some without drying it out.  As far as rewarming, I just nuke individual pieces on medium-low so not to overcook and dry the meat. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky