Smoker recommendation for a 2 person household - Under $300

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nickbuol

Original poster
Jul 11, 2017
Hello.  I've been reading the forums here off and on for about 6 months.

I currently have one of those $40 (with about $60 in mods LOL) Brinkman charcoal smokers that I got from my dad before they moved 1000 miles away.  I really like smoking food, but even with the mods that thing is a hassle to get working well.

So I am in the market for something different and looking at electric smokers (probably with an AMNPS depending on model).

There are just 2 of us in our family now that our youngest is off to college in a month, and we don't "entertain" people that much for meals like that.

I was looking at a MES 30 (both the basic "$130" 20070910 model and the windowed with RF remote "$208" 20070411 model).  My brother-in-law has the basic one, and my father-in-law just got the 20070411 a couple of weeks ago.  

I've read so many people say "just go to the 40" 20070311, but that seems like overkill for what will mostly be just 2 of us.  It can be had for $300 at Academy, but I've never bought from them.

Then I start reading here and on product buying sites about controller issues and such with these models.  They all still get pretty good reviews, but I still don't want to get one of the "bad ones."  So I am not stuck on Masterbuilt as a brand if something else better fits my needs.

Any suggestions for me?  Just for my wife and I most of the time, at or under $300 if possible.  Side note that I got a remote thermometer for fathers day a year ago which works well, and also had me leaning towards the basic MES 30 20070910 model.

I don't want to have to worry about "upgrade-itis" but also don't want to bust my wallet with size or features that I don't need.

Any insight or suggestion would be outstanding.

Thank you so much!

Hi there and welcome!

I'm not sure what you are going to be smoking which may matter some but I would recommend the MES40 over the MES30.

This is simply because of the size difference.

I smoke for 1 or 2 people and I would not like the MES30 over the MES40.  The thing to keep in mind is that if you are going to smoke something and wait all of that time you likely will try to get the sensible max amount of meat smoked in one go.  

For example, you are going to smoke some chicken breast.  It is highly unlikely you will smoke just 2-3 breast for lunch or dinner.   The real life scenario for most is to do a whole rack of chicken breast (3-4 pounds) and then have some extra chicken breast left for another meal or to freeze and have throughout the week.  Same thing for chicken quarters or drums.

Also you likely won't be fitting a brisket packer into an MES30 if you decide to do a brisket at any point.

Additionally, if you want to do any kind of sausage you will want to be doing no less than about 5 pounds at a time which is a full rack on the MES40.  Same thing applies for bacon, the MES40 can usually do 1 whole belly on a single rack.

Now you may start asking "why not use multiple racks in the MES30"? 

Well the answer is that you will not get the same temp on every rack just due to the nature of the design.  The heat comes from the bottom and goes out the top, meaning as you use more racks during a smoke you will need to rotate them or wait longer for food to finish on racks that are above the bottom rack.

So if you are doing a pair of Whole chickens you will likely need to do them on 2 racks in an MES30 and the chicken in the upper most rack will not finish the same time as the chicken on the lowest rack.  This may not be an issue for your scenarios but you get the idea if you planned to do enough food to span 2 racks in an MES30.  The MES40 size gives you more flexibility to get the job done on one rack.

As for MES vs Bradley smokers I can't comment as I've never used a Bradley but the Bradley can go up to 325F which is helpful to get edible chicken skin when smoking chicken.  FYI, if you don't get the the smoker to about 315F+ you will likely end up with rough/leathery chicken skin out of the smoker.

Finally, the AMNPS is awesome no matter which way you go.

I hope this info helps :)

Reactions: nickbuol
That is very helpful.  I was just looking for something a step up from my Brinkman in size and easy in keeping heat going, etc, but you bring up some great points such as the need to swap racks when cooking multiple items.  I had to swap racks with the junky Brinkman, but it was only 2 racks, and the unit was very inefficient with keeping smoke in anyway.  With a newer smoker that does better at smoking, but with 4 racks, that seems like a shame to have to swap a lot of racks and lose all of that good smoke.

Now I just need to find out if the MES40 20070311 model is the "best" one to go with, or if there is a different model that I should be looking at for build and reliability, or if I should be looking at a completely different brand even.

That is very helpful.  I was just looking for something a step up from my Brinkman in size and easy in keeping heat going, etc, but you bring up some great points such as the need to swap racks when cooking multiple items.  I had to swap racks with the junky Brinkman, but it was only 2 racks, and the unit was very inefficient with keeping smoke in anyway.  With a newer smoker that does better at smoking, but with 4 racks, that seems like a shame to have to swap a lot of racks and lose all of that good smoke.

Now I just need to find out if the MES40 20070311 model is the "best" one to go with, or if there is a different model that I should be looking at for build and reliability, or if I should be looking at a completely different brand even.
That is a Gen 1 model.  As generations go it is said the newest Gen 2.5 is the best (also much more expensive), then the Gen 1 models being next, and then the Gen 2's being mostly undesirable as it seems the quality went down on the Gen 2's.

Also I think the window is about useless and completely overratted.  I gave up bothering trying to keep it clean and clear.  To do all over again if I had the option to pay less money for an MES40 that had no window I would, but if you only have that one option then you are fine, it's no big deal, just an area that money can be saved in is all.

What do you mainly smoke?

Nickbuol -

This is the smallest smoker that Smokin-it makes.  And it is slightly over $300.00.  Free shipping, all stainless steel in and out.  It is not as large as what has been recommended but it is a very solid unit with a lot of happy owners.  Give it a look. And good luck with whatever you decide to purchase.

http://www.smokin-it.com/Smoker-p/smkmdl1.htm

Wow, I was under the impression that the Gen 1 was the most desireable, thanks for the 2.5 recommendation.  I will look into that too, but wonder if it will be cost prohibitive. 

Yeah, the window seems a bit useless to me.  

We smoke mainly pork loin and ribs, but would love to try larger items that the old brinkman couldn't do.

Hey nick. Everything said is absolutely true. BUT...I cook only for Miss Linda and me on my MES 30 Gen 1. I have never had a problem with room except with a brisket. I had to separate the point and flat and smoke them on separate racks (point above the flat). Both cooked just fine and finished at the same time.

Smoking meat and everything else is both my hobby and my relaxation therapy so I don't lose any sleep over it if I fire the MES up and the only thing in it is a tenderloin or a single meatloaf.

Regardless of which MES you buy, you'll want an AMNPS and the mailbox mod.

I've had my MES for over 2 years and except for the TERRIBLE meat and cook chamber therms, its performed flawlessly.

Gary

I saw a picture of someone with a mailbox on their smoker, but never looked further into it.  I will have to check that out.

I see that Walmart will ship a 40" Gen 2.5 20072715 for $276 plus tax (free shipping).  Might be a good option as it would be just at about the $300 limit that I am looking for.  

People complain about issues after the 3 month warranty, and Walmart offers a 3 or 4 year "Care Plan" that covers failures for $28 and $37 respectively.  Might be the extra piece of mind that I am looking for, even if it pushes the unit over $300....

As for the comment about the 30" again, which is what I was originally wondering about, for the $68 difference in cost (currently) the 40's size, larger heating elements, and claim to be a good unit (with some mods) might still be the better option for "in case you need it" size.  I appreciate the insight though.  I've had too many times in my life where I saved some money on something just to end up buying something bigger, better, faster, etc later on and wish that I had just started with the more expensive model later.

Of course, jumping to a $500, $600 + smoker just is absolutely not in the cards to matter what right now, so I want to get whatever will have the least desire to upgrade later.

I will check out the Smokin-It one too though before doing anything.

I have 2 MES 40" 0311 one from Academy both have worked well. Based on what l have been reading about the Smokin-it, they will likely replace the MES when the time comes...JJ

I have 2 MES 40" 0311 one from Academy both have worked well. Based on what l have been reading about the Smokin-it, they will likely replace the MES when the time comes...JJ
I like the Smokin-It 3D and had I done it all over again I would have gone that route.

As of now I have a HEAVILY mod'ed MES40.  It is rockin and rollin now and baring a fire catastrophe I'll be using this thing for a looooooooong time as I now know how to work on them and it is already rewired for PID controllers or any kind of controller like my HeaterMeter :)

Well, after talking to my wife last night and going over all sorts of options (including holding off and maybe getting something that cost more $$$), we landed on the MES 40 2.5 but did pay for the piece of mind warranty from Walmart.  It is shipping directly to my house, but if I decide once it is here that it is too big for our needs (best guess of course) then I can just return it locally and start over.

I know that the need for repairs can be hit or miss, but we don't smoke food all of the time, and I am just concerned that the failure would happen just outside of warranty, and maybe it would be an easy fix (or two, or three), but we agreed that for the cheap cost of the warranty we would just go that route.   That was hard for me because I never buy extended warranties, but it does give me a bit of piece of mind for something that seems to be pretty solid of a unit, but if you have problems it is almost always after 90 days and a lot of headache.

Of course one thing that I did not think of is if I will be permitted to modify the smoker during the 90 day period or beyond with the Walmart warranty....  Was thinking mailbox and AMNPS...  Oh well, that will come later.

Thanks again for all of the insight everyone.

Well, after talking to my wife last night and going over all sorts of options (including holding off and maybe getting something that cost more $$$), we landed on the MES 40 2.5 but did pay for the piece of mind warranty from Walmart.  It is shipping directly to my house, but if I decide once it is here that it is too big for our needs (best guess of course) then I can just return it locally and start over.

I know that the need for repairs can be hit or miss, but we don't smoke food all of the time, and I am just concerned that the failure would happen just outside of warranty, and maybe it would be an easy fix (or two, or three), but we agreed that for the cheap cost of the warranty we would just go that route.   That was hard for me because I never buy extended warranties, but it does give me a bit of piece of mind for something that seems to be pretty solid of a unit, but if you have problems it is almost always after 90 days and a lot of headache.

Of course one thing that I did not think of is if I will be permitted to modify the smoker during the 90 day period or beyond with the Walmart warranty....  Was thinking mailbox and AMNPS...  Oh well, that will come later.

Some of us use a low profile 9"x13" or so disposable aluminum pan every smoke with a small rack ontop of the pan edge or in the pan to put the meat on for smoke to circulate to the bottom of the food and keep rub from dissolving into the juices. Also, to collect juices and/or for easy clean up. My water bowl and bottom drip pan are covered in aluminum foil and some people foil the chip burner top for easy clean up as well. The Mes 40" racks allow more air to circulate past the disposable aluminum pans than the Mes 30" that may block more heat from rising, trapping heat lower when using disposable pans. Ribs and whole packer briskets go directly on the Mes racks or rib rack but I try to use a disposable pan everytime for smaller roasts etc..
-Kurt

I think I have some good news concerning both points you discuss.  First the Mailbox mod with the AMNPS would not alter your MES and shouldn't void the warranty.  My setup is a little different that others but see mine below.  It is just a three inch 90 degree elbow duct going to a wall hanging mailbox, most others use a regular mailbox and a longer hose but I wanted to be more streamlined and compact.  I can remove it at will and put the chip loader back into the MES, no permanent modifications there.

Also, the most common issues with the MES gen 1 and gen 2 (can't speak for gen 2.5) seem to be the electric connectors that hook the wire to the heating element or the roll out limit safety switch (switch that cuts power to heating element if temp in smoker gets too high).

The issue with the connectors is they are extra cheap and are very prone to corroding until the wire connection is compromised.

If something goes wrong with a connector you might have to drill out the rivets on the back of the smoker, remove the sheet metal back and get to the some of those connections.  You switch out the bad connectors with some high temp steel connectors and sometimes you might need to replace the Rollout LImit Switch (cost 5 bucks for a pack of 5) which involves 2 screws.

When done you fasten the sheet metal backing of the smoker with some sheet metal screws and you are done. 

Finally, if the electronics fail (controller and/or circuit board) it is actually quite simple to rewire the MES to accept a 3rd party controller that actually controls things much better (in my experience) than the controller that comes with the unit.  So short of the unit burning down you can keep this thing running for a long time with a little old fashion effort :)

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky