Smoked Prime Rib (49th Wedding Anniversary Dinner)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Smoked Prime Rib (49th Wedding Anniversary Dinner)
Apple Smoke (Panned)

LOL—And You Guys thought I forgot how to Smoke Meat!!

Our 49th Wedding Anniversary is actually on December 27th, but we decided to have our Dinner a few weeks early because of all the other Holidays around that same time. We always have so much Ham & all kinds of other leftovers, that it’s not a great time for our Prime Rib & the few days of Prime Rib Sammies that always come after our Anniversary. Although most of the Prime Rib leftovers this time will be prepped and frozen until it’s time to SV them for future Suppers.
It’s hard to believe how stuffed our Fridge gets after the Big Family Christmas Party Dec 24, then Christmas Dinner at home on the 25th, then our Anniversary on Dec 27, New Years Eve Dinner, New Years Day “Pork & Sauerkraut”, and then finally my Birthday on Jan 3rd. Wheww—I’m beat just thinking about all that !!
However this year Mrs Bear will be checking into the Hospital again, and it will be on December 27—Our actual 49th Wedding Anniversary date. I’ll tell you all about it when it gets closer to that day, because I’ll be asking for your help again at that time. You guys were Great Help the last time.

So that’s why we moved our Anniversary Dinner up a few weeks!!!

Here’s how we did it:
This will be a 3.15 pound Prime Rib, after the bones have been removed.
I will be using Apple Sawdust instead of my usual Hickory at the request of Mrs Bear.
I will be again smoking with a Smoker Temp of 220°, so I can get the same Perfect Tender Medium Rare Pink Beef from Bark to Bark as always.

Morning (Prepping):
Rinse, Dry, and cut a block pattern through the fat cap to the meat. Then give it a good coat of Lea & Perrins Bold Steak Sauce” (formerly known as Worcestershire Thick), and put it on a Wire Cooling Rack, in a Foil Pan. Then apply some CBP, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder. Then put it in my fridge until Smoking Time. I used to add some Sea Salt at this time, but I cut way back on Sodium since a Dr ruined my Kidneys (among other things).

Later (Smoking Time):
10:30—————Preheat my MES 40 to 220°. (Set at 210° to get 220°)
10:30—————Fill 1 1/2 rows of AMNS with Apple Dust, and light one end.
11:15—————Put Smoking AMNS on Right side of Smoking Rack in bottom position, just above the Chip Dumper.
11:15—————Put Roast on wire cooling rack, in foil pan, on Smoking Rack in 2nd Position of 6 position smoker.
1:30—————-Wipe my clean Meat probe with an alcohol wipe & insert in center of Roast. Internal Temp is at 106°.
2:00—————-117° IT
2:30—————-127° IT
3:00—————-135° IT
3:20—————-140° IT—-Cut heat back to 140° and open door to get down to 140° fast.
3:25—————-140° IT—-Smoker Temp peaked at 169° from inside residual smoker heat.
3:35—————-140° IT—-Smoker Temp down to 160°, but IT is still 140°.
3:45—————-140° IT—-Smoker Temp down to 145°, but IT is still 140°.
3:50—————-140° IT—-Remove Prime Rib from Smoker.

Slice, plate, add sides, Take Pics, and Eat.

Note: Putting Prime Rib Roast on a wire cooling rack in a foil pan does not show any loss of smoke flavor, and makes for less clean-up needed.

Also: This was another Awesome Smoked Prime Rib, and the Apple Dust was slightly more mild, but still Great !!

Thanks For Looking,

Bear

3.15 pound Choice Prime Rib ready for Smoker:
IMG_1651.jpg

1 1/2 rows of Apple Sawdust--One end lit:
IMG_1652.jpg

Had to lean plywood over smoker window to keep sun from hitting heat sensor:
IMG_1655.jpg

Ready to bring in to the Kitchen.
Here you can see where I put my probes & Amazing Smoker:
IMG_1658.jpg

Ready for Slicing:
IMG_1662.jpg

3 Slices--One for our Supper & two for future SV Reheat:
IMG_1664.jpg

End Trimmings for the next few Breakfasts:
IMG_1665.jpg

Bear's Plate:
IMG_1667.jpg

OOOPS, Forgot the Pickled Red Beets!!
IMG_1668.jpg

Next Day's Breakfast "Steak & Eggs":
IMG_1670.jpg

Last edited:
Prime Rib Master strikes again. JAnd just when I thought you reached the pinnacle !! WOW !!
Congrats on the 49th tell Linda I said Hey and congrats, I'm not far behind

Another fantastic PR by the Bear

Gary

John Congrats to the both of you,That whole meal looks great.Our 29th is 12/24 points
Richie

As usual a home run Bear.Better start saving now...50th is GOLD!
Is it just me or is that AMNPS twice the size of a regular one(5x8)?

Cheers on the 49th!
Bill

As usual a home run Bear.Better start saving now...50th is GOLD!
Is it just me or is that AMNPS twice the size of a regular one(5x8)?
Cheers on the 49th!
Bill

Thank You Bill.
That one was a Prototype from back when I was helping Todd test his projects.
He made that one at my request. (5 X 11---Max for MES 30 Gen #1 on the support rods)
It's an AMNS, and it's only good for Dust. It's wasn't good at high temps, so he dropped it. I loved it, and he said I should keep it.

Bear

Congrats on the 49th... Amazing milestone... Best wishes to you and your bride.....

Thank You Dave!
Appreciate that.

Bear

Prime Rib Master strikes again. JAnd just when I thought you reached the pinnacle !! WOW !!
Congrats on the 49th tell Linda I said Hey and congrats, I'm not far behind

Another fantastic PR by the Bear

Gary

Thank You Gary!!
Appreciate the Compliments!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

"Slice, plate, add sides, Take Pics, and Eat."
Lol.. good thread. So nice to have you here helping us all out.. Hope to see you here for anniversary #60 and more..
Like that tip about the rack in pan not effecting the smokiness. I often use one and agree.. plus juices don't get burned up or evaporate as quickly when it's right under meat in the same upper rack.
My mouth was watering..
Happy anniversary in advance You Both!

Nice job bear .. points to you ... and points to Mrs. bear .. that's a long time for someone to wash somebody's drawers .. lol, that;s what my brother said to me when we celebrated our 35th

Congrats Bear and Mrs. Bear! Our anniversary (only our 26th) is on December 27th as well... So I too know how hard it is to fit all that food, family and celebration into a small window. The Prime rib looks perfect!

Well......it looks like the Bear came through with flying colors-----again. Looks amazing!! I like my meat medium, but I sure wouldn't say no to a slice of that LOL.
Congratulations to you and your Miss Linda, John from me and my Miss Linda. Sure nice to see a couple stay together that long.
Gary

Happy, Happy, Happy Anniversary!
I was beginning to wonder if anything you cooked didn't have some time in the hot tub...;)
Looks fantastic as always, and thanks for the instructions!:)

Congratulations Bear and Momma Bear on the 49th. As usual another fine looking plate.

Chris

John Congrats to the both of you,That whole meal looks great.Our 29th is 12/24 points
Richie

Thank You My Brother!!
And Congrats to you!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Last edited:
"Slice, plate, add sides, Take Pics, and Eat."
Lol.. good thread. So nice to have you here helping us all out.. Hope to see you here for anniversary #60 and more..
Like that tip about the rack in pan not effecting the smokiness. I often use one and agree.. plus juices don't get burned up or evaporate as quickly when it's right under meat in the same upper rack.
My mouth was watering..
Happy anniversary in advance You Both!

Thank You JB !!
Appreciate that.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky