Smoked Prime Rib (47th Anniversary Dinner)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Question - is having it in a pan with the bottom blocked from the direct movement of the smoke a bad thing for smoke 'reception?'

Question - is having it in a pan with the bottom blocked from the direct movement of the smoke a bad thing for smoke 'reception?'
If you have it laying right on the bottom of the pan, it wouldn't get any smoke on that side.

However setting it on the Wire cooling Rack, in the Pan, allows plenty of Smoke to get all around the Roast.

The Smoke goes everywhere there is an empty space.

Bear

Just on the bottom but some of us put a small rack in the pan to keep the food elevated out of liquids that disolve rub/bark formation. I have a small rack that sits on top of the pan on the indented edge of the foil pan as well so smoke gets to the bottom of the food and still can be foiledl over/seal to the bottom pan if you have food that needs to power through a stall.
-Kurt

Last edited:
Just on the bottom but some of us put a small rack in the pan to keep the food elevated out of liquids that disolve rub/bark formation. I have a small rack that sits on top of the pan on the indented edge of the foil pan as well so smoke gets to the bottom of the food and still can be foiedl over/seal to the bottom pan if you have food that needs to power through a stall.
-Kurt

If you have it laying right on the bottom of the pan, it wouldn't get any smoke on that side.

However setting it on the Wire cooling Rack, in the Pan, allows plenty of Smoke to get all around the Roast.

The Smoke goes everywhere there is an empty space.

Bear
Great advice.  Thanks!

New to the Forum here.  Reading threads trying to get an idea what to buy.  Looks like you're the king here Bear.

So this prime rib took a little more than 6 hours? 

New to the Forum here.  Reading threads trying to get an idea what to buy.  Looks like you're the king here Bear.

So this prime rib took a little more than 6 hours? 
Thank You!!

No---No King---I just make my Step by Steps easy to understand.

Actually the cooking of this Prime Rib took 4 hours. (See Below)

12:00—————Put Roast on wire cooling rack, in foil pan, on Smoking Rack in 2nd Position of 6 position smoker.

4:00—————-140° IT——Cut heat back to 140° and open door to get heat down to 160° quickly.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky