Smoked ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Translucent Taco

Original poster
Dec 18, 2019
Gday all, i won a smoked ham the other day at the meat raffles. I am wondering if i can smoke it again at a low temp then refriderate but then cook it again the next day on the bbq. Has anyone got an answer for me please. Cheers.

What kinda ham? I go to a meat shoot where you can win a canned ham. Its already cooked. I make my own real hams from the hind leg of a pig. I basically smoke and cook them after curing. I have resmoked them to reheat them.

We need more info.

What kinda ham? I go to a meat shoot where you can win a canned ham. Its already cooked. I make my own real hams from the hind leg of a pig. I basically smoke and cook them after curing. I have resmoked them to reheat them.

We need more info.
Its a smoked/cured bone in leg ham

That depends on where you are and the lowest temp you can run your smoker. 35 to 45°F in the smoker, as long as you want. 45 to 140°F, 2 hours of smoke. Over 140, you can Smoke as long as you wish, but you are Cooking the Ham. This is fine if you are going to eat it that day. However, you want to heat after smoking, potentially cooking a Third Time? That I would not do. To much risk of ending up with a Stringy, Dry Ham. Not very tasty...JJ

Reactions: sawhorseray
That depends on where you are and the lowest temp you can run your smoker. 35 to 45°F in the smoker, as long as you want. 45 to 140°F, 2 hours of smoke. Over 140, you can Smoke as long as you wish, but you are Cooking the Ham. This is fine if you are going to eat it that day. However, you want to heat after smoking, potentially cooking a Third Time? That I would not do. To much risk of ending up with a Stringy, Dry Ham. Not very tasty...JJ
Im not worried about the ham being stringy and dry its just another smoke to add some more flavour, my biggest concern is making eveyone sick with a ham cooked 3 times.

Gday all, i won a smoked ham the other day at the meat raffles. I am wondering if i can smoke it again at a low temp then refriderate but then cook it again the next day on the bbq. Has anyone got an answer for me please. Cheers.

Could you just smoke it the day if instead of the day before followed by the cook? I agree with JJ that it will be really dry if you cook it a 3rd time. And by cook I mean that you’re using a temperature that will raising the internal temperature of the ham to the ideal 140F IT.

Now if you do a cold smoke for example and then cook it to the IT of 140 the next day that would be fine and I wouldn’t worry about making anyone sick.

SMF member Bearcarver has a post about double smoking a spiral ham as well as a normal ham. Do a search. Do it exactly like he did. It is great and simple. I just did a spiral based on his recipe. I am sure his non-spiral ham is just as good. This spiral ham was much better than the spirals you can buy at the HONEY BAKED STORE. Good luck
HAWG

HAM FINISHED.jpg

Reactions: jcam222
If it's Not a Spiral Ham, the Interior is Sterile. Hot Smoking, 225+, the the Ham will not change that. You are just Cooking it a second time to whatever IT, to add Smoke, then Cooling it promptly. You plan to Bake it, a third time, at 225+, until hot. Correct? This represents no Safety Issue. But the outer third to half, depending on the time of the second smoke, will likely be Over Cooked and Dry. You risk Quality of the Ham, not the Safety of quests...JJ

Reactions: Hawging It
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky