Smoked Dot Dogs - Taters - & Smokin B's German Cake

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pgsmoker64

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 23, 2010
Prince George, Va.
That's right...Dot Dogs - so named by a close friends daughter when she was about 3 years old, it just kinda stuck.

So, nothing new but still darn good eating!!!

You can't tell from the pic but these are spiral sliced and dusted with my favorite BBQ rub.

Into the MES 30 with a couple taters 

Here they are out of the smoker.  These were Omaha Steak gourmet dogs...think I'll stick with Nathan's or Hebrew Nationals.

My plate with the smoked tater - the dog had chipotle mustard, cheddar shreds, jalepeno slices, and a drizzle of my BDSE sauce.

And for desert, Smokin B's German cake - and man is it good.  I could tell from the silky smooth batter that it was going to be good!!!

And plated.  I threw in some Hershey's Special Dark chocolate chips, which for some reason all sunk to the bottom.

Okay...so like I said, nothing earth shattering but enjoyable all the same.

Hope you enjoyed,

Bill

Bill....dang it...you beat me!  I am going to make that Cake tomorrow!!!  Looks good...love the spiral on the dawgs!

Kat

Kat, 

The cake is awesome...very silky and light.  Only problem was all the chocolate fell to the bottom.  Guess I could have added that later.

Bill

Thanks Martin!

My youngest called them big veena snausages...LOL - He had his own language when he was little.

Looks-Great.gif

Hot dogs,taters and cake.....Now that's a meal to make any age kid happy. Love Nathan's and Hebrew Nationals. Here there is another brand that is very good also, Casper's Hot Dogs. They're almost a foot long and skinny, good snap to them.

banana_smiley.gif
drool.gif

Thanks Z!
How long did you smoke them Bill and at what temp?  It looks awesome!    No Slaw and Chill? :-)
Wes,  1.5 hours at 235 - No slaw and chili this time...just used what I had!
sausage.gif
yahoo.gif
sausage.gif

pepsi.gif
That's right  -  dancin weiners!!!!
Hot dogs,taters and cake.....Now that's a meal to make any age kid happy. Love Nathan's and Hebrew Nationals. Here there is another brand that is very good also, Casper's Hot Dogs. They're almost a foot long and skinny, good snap to them.

banana_smiley.gif
drool.gif
I'll have to give the Caper's a try.  Never heard of them.  Not a Cali thing is it?  It'll be a while before I make it to the left coast again.
Looks dang yummy to me.......
drool.gif
Thanks!

That looks awesome!  I have never spiral cut my dogs before.  That will happen next time I have dot dogs.  Need to get the cake recipe, that looks yummy.
 I threw in some Hershey's Special Dark chocolate chips, which for some reason all sunk to the bottom.
My wife's 2 cents on this:

She said to make the batter thicker and that would help keep them from falling.  Use less water in the recipe.

I remember this topic coming up before in our house and wanted to share.  It does work.  She also said she started buying the chocolate chunks instead of of the chips.

Aaron.

That looks awesome!  I have never spiral cut my dogs before.  That will happen next time I have dot dogs.  Need to get the cake recipe, that looks yummy.

My wife's 2 cents on this:

She said to make the batter thicker and that would help keep them from falling.  Use less water in the recipe.

I remember this topic coming up before in our house and wanted to share.  It does work.  She also said she started buying the chocolate chunks instead of of the chips.

Aaron.
Tell your wife thanks for me Aaron...there is actually no water in the batter.  I have the recipe..got it from Smokin B but I will repost below.

Here ya go!  Enjoy

Smokin B’s German Cake

4 bird eggs (I use chicken)

1 cup milk

1 tsp vanilla extract

2 sticks butter (let them warm to room temp before you need them)

1 1/2 cups sugar

2 tsp baking powder

1 2/3 cups AP flour

Ok now for the work...

Separate the yolks from the eggs & beat the egg whites till they thicken up quite well & are not runny at all. Put them in the fridge to keep cool till you need them.

Cream the butter & sugar together - this can be a pain but it is very important. Make sure you let your butter come to room temp before you need it or you will become  highly  agitated. (past experience - don't ask)

Mix in the egg yolks & vanilla extract.

Sift your flour a couple times to make sure it is clump free - this ensures a nice, light, smooth batter.

Mix in the baking powder.

Mix in the well sifted flour & milk a little at a time alternating between the two until the batter is mixed very well.

Remove the egg whites from the fridge & fold them into the batter.

Lightly grease whatever you are going to bake in & set it in the oven for 45 - 50 minutes at 350*

You can also add cocoa or melted chocolate to make this a chocolate cake. I added 1/2 cup chocolate chips & a few bits of dark chocolate to this one & mixed them in right before adding the egg whites to give it a little chocolatey goodness without changing it much.

man that sounds good!

out of curiosity does is the spiral cut for aesthetics or does it do anything else special to the dog?

Those dogs look good...and thanks for reposting the cake recipe.

About those chips sinking to the bottom of the cake, you may want to try dusting the chocolate chips with flour before adding to the batter. Helps them to cling to the batter. Works with berries and fruit in muffins or cakes etc also with batter hanging onto fried foods,(fish, onion rings) so it.might work with the choc. chips in the cake batter too.

Bill, great looking eats.

Ma Dutch said to put the chocolate chips is a zip top bag along with a couple of tablespoons of flour and give the bag a shake or two to coat the chips. She claims that the flour will prevent the choc. chips from sinking to the bottom~something about the batter adhering to the flour on the chips and suspending the chips in the batter. She does a lot more dessert baking than I do~my baking is mostly breads and rolls.

Those hot dogs are pretty fancy!
Thanks WC...I got the idea from one of Jeff's newsletters.
man that sounds good!

out of curiosity does is the spiral cut for aesthetics or does it do anything else special to the dog?
Hi Doug,  Makes 'em look fancy but also allows you to get some rub in the slices.
Those dogs look good...and thanks for reposting the cake recipe.

About those chips sinking to the bottom of the cake, you may want to try dusting the chocolate chips with flour before adding to the batter. Helps them to cling to the batter. Works with berries and fruit in muffins or cakes etc also with batter hanging onto fried foods,(fish, onion rings) so it.might work with the choc. chips in the cake batter too.
Thanks - and thanks for the tip!
Bill, great looking eats.

Ma Dutch said to put the chocolate chips is a zip top bag along with a couple of tablespoons of flour and give the bag a shake or two to coat the chips. She claims that the flour will prevent the choc. chips from sinking to the bottom~something about the batter adhering to the flour on the chips and suspending the chips in the batter. She does a lot more dessert baking than I do~my baking is mostly breads and rolls.
Thanks Dutch!  Tell Ma Dutch I said thanks as well.  I will definitely try that on the next go 'round.
Looking good!!

Craig
Thanks Craig!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky