Smoked carnitas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

greendrake

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
North Idaho
Yeah I know, tradition schmadition, I have done it before and I will do it again. Question for you fellas on seasoning some pulled pork for just simply adding a heaping pile of pico on a big tortilla. What seasoning would you use to spice up the pork after is was pulled?

I did this last year at a river lodge for my birthday party, we just smoked up a couple butts, mustard and dry rubbed, then added some seasonings to them to get a little salty tangy taste, then dumped pico and they were amazing. I want to try some different seasonings this weekend, so what would you guys recommend is a good flavor to add to some pulled pork to dish up some tasty love?

I may try taking chunks of the pork off and searing them in a cast iron skillet or dutch oven, in some lard too. Yeah baby, health food.

The list is as long as you arm. Now alot of folks use a finishing sauce with differant things in it from a vinigar base to a simple BBQ sauce. Now you have to think of what you are using it for with sammies I use alittle BBQ. Then with tacos/burritos you might want to use a pico de gillo sauce to them. Just do a search for the pork and you can find some differant ways to do this.

if yer going for the south of the border flavor do an achiote rub/marinade and then smoke/pull/eat.

I use the following, all ground together in a paste, with 2 lb. of butt ground in bite sized chunks. I coat all the chunks and let them marinate overnight, then into a screaming cast iron dutch oven. As they start to brown, I put in about 1/4 cup milk. The milk helps the browning and the extra protein binds the spices. Once they are all browned, remove and serve with pico de gallo on your tortillas.

1 t salt
1/2 t fresh ground black pepper
2 t dried Mexican oregano
1 1/2 t cumin
6 garlic cloves
2 T vegetable oil
2 chiles arbol (4 if you like more heat)
3 T lard, shortening, or my choice - bacon grease

Thanks MG, that is what I was looking for. Gonna have to Q-view this one, any pork with pico must be photographed.

I made this recipe . I was using a hormel product that I hadn't seen before they were vac packed pork tenderloin ends . Basically just chunks of pork , I cut them into about 1 inch cubes and let them marinate in that mixture overnight . I didn't smoke them though ( I would have but I didn't feel all that great ) I ovened (?) them first covered at 300 for about an hour then put a few chunks under the broiler , then shredded those and put on tortillas with pico and cheese . I don't see why you couldn't mix up that mixture and put it on a big piece . If I were to do it again I would put something in there for more spice ... maybe . My pico was pretty spicy but without the pico it would be kind of mild for my tastes . Here's the link :
http://www.landolakes.com/mealideas/...RecipeID=13467

Broke through the 160 wall easily, now they are on their way up. 11 hours on smoke, bumped up to 250 to finish.

OK guys, this worked like a champ. I took a little lard, melted it in a dutch oven to have the high walls that prevent over splatter, chunked up the pork butt and plopped it in to sear and get some love. The whole house smells of delicious bacon now, which is never a bad thing. It seared up beautifully, I did add seasonings while searing. Took it out, chopped it up like they do in the burrito shops and here's what I got. WOW, mouth watering.

Now your talking... grease is the word. It's all good my friend.

It sure looks great...
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

That looks like it came out great. I bet it tasted even better

what I love to do with my pulled pork is take all the big bits of fat that come off when pulling. Chop them up and then fry in a pan to get some nice cracklins.

Remove cracklins and sprinkle with salt. Fry the pulled pork in the rendered fat to crisp up. Don't stir it much, just let it get crisp on one side.

I wrap up my buts with foil at the end with onions and garlic and there is some nice drippings left in the foil so I use that as a base for a finishing sauce. I add some vinegary hot sauce and some tomato paste and whatever else I feel like. Whirr in blender and add to taste.

It comes out fantastic! Oh year I also love some slightly under ripe mango in my pico de gallo. Really works well.

Unfortunately most of the replies didn't understand your question about seasoning your pork AFTER it was pulled.

Yep, Rich, that's the start. Brown that meat really fast, really hot in just the slightest bit of lard.

Then sprinkle over top of the entire butt's pulled contents- 1 TSP ground cardamom, 1 TBSP ground cumin, 1/2 cup finely diced red onion, 1 bunch well chopped cilantro, and the juice of 3 or 4 fresh limes.

Mix well, and all you need are the tortillas and and your mouth!

Reactions: daniel robinson
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky