Smoke Vault Tips

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Transamconvert

Original poster
Nov 8, 2021
Hi all,

Got a smoke vault 18 as an early christmas present and am getting it set up and was hoping I could get some operating tips. I have it converted to natural gas per their instructions (drill out the orifice). My flame is almost 100% blue throughout the range. Temp control is finicky but I'm getting it and I was able to season and do one simple pork loin which turned out well.

I noticed that the inside of the box and especially the bottom of the water pan was coated with a sticky brown stuff. What's that? Is it from the wood? The bottom of the chip tray was fairly clean so I wouldn't think it was from the burner. It was pretty heavy on that pan and while it cleaned off easy enough it ruined my sponge. I also noticed that my burner has like an orange/pink ring of color around its top which looked odd to me. Maybe a corrosion product, don't know.

I don't know what to do with the vents. I modified the bottom vents so they'll close and was running them closed but maybe I should have them open some?

I also think I used too much wood. The smoke was pretty heavy, I used about 6-8 chunks which more or less filled the tray. What should I be doing?

Looking forward to getting the technical details ironed out and putting this thing to work a bit.

Reactions: JLeonard
Hello and welcome to SMF.

The brown sticky stuff on the water pan is creosote from the wood.
Did you see the orange/pink ring on the burner before it was lit? If the ring wasn't there before, then it could just be oxidation from burning natural gas.
As for the bottom air intake vents, run them anywhere from 50% open to wide open.
Always run the exhaust full open.
Yeah, 6-8 chunks is too many. Try two or three, four at the most. Yes, you will add more chunks as needed.

I have a SV 24, and it is well used. I have rebuilt it twice. I would use just 2 wood chunks to start off with & when the smoke stops, usually about every 45 minutes or so, add one more chunk.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky