smoke hollow 4-in-1 combo grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
After purchasing and assembling this unit I was very disappointed to learn it was made in china.  Guess I think of this hobby as an American tradition.  I would never have bought this smoker had I known of its origin.  That being said, it does seem to do a nice job without even doing any of the mods talked about in this thread.

Last edited:
Hunterguy- I had the same problem with my gas side cover. It was flat on the far side and sat up about 1/2 inch on the other side. I just took mine and pulled down on the high side while pulling up on the flush side GENTLY and it tweaked it enough that it sits perfectly all the way across now. I had read reviews on some sites that people called the company and were sent a new lid as well. I think it is just the sheet metal and the spot welding tweaks them out of shape a little.

I'm going to seal things up with the JB Weld today but have never used it before. Just mix it then put it on the gaps and in the gaps as best I can? Thanks.

dpr3244- yep, just mix equal parts.I used a paper plate and a plastic knife to mix it. Then put on rubber gloves and used my finger to spread it into the seams. Let it harden up and your good to go. On the package it states the cure time so let it set at least that long before doing anthing else with it like heating it up or seasoning.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. FYI to any potential buyers, I just bought one (Jun 2013) and they've modified the rack in the firebox so that charcoal won't fall through. Also, the tank is now underneath the gas grill with a metal divider in front of it and they provide a couple condiment racks that set in the front of the divider.

I should also mention I don't see any gaps in the charcoal grill - it doesn't appear it was spot welded as in the past. The firebox is still spot welded and does have some gaps in one corner but the other three look very good. The main gap is between the box and the access panel but that is impossible to avoid. Bottom line, it appears the manufacturer has heard your voices and addressed some of the prior issues.

Charcoal box

Last edited:
Hi Pack Daddy.  Just curious if you have had a chance to use the smoker yet? I have this same model, and have done the basic mods.  Put fire rope on the fire box, cooking chamber, and RTV to seal all the small cracks. When I smoked some ribs, it was about 75 outside and I had a heck of a time keeping it at 230.  With the vents wide open, it would sit right at 230.  If i even closed it a little, it would drop about 5 - 10 degrees.  I had to keep it wide open to maintain 230.  I was using Kingsford and went through a whole bag for the 6 hour smoke. Felt like a lot of charcoal to me. Just curious to see how its working out for you and others. Oh, and used a charcoal basket made out of expanded metal... I paced it on top of the included rack to elevate it a little.

I struggle to keep mine at temp sometimes as well. Not too bad this past weekend when hot out here but if cooler or windy doesn't get up too high.

Hi Pack Daddy.  Just curious if you have had a chance to use the smoker yet? I have this same model, and have done the basic mods.  Put fire rope on the fire box, cooking chamber, and RTV to seal all the small cracks. When I smoked some ribs, it was about 75 outside and I had a heck of a time keeping it at 230.  With the vents wide open, it would sit right at 230.  If i even closed it a little, it would drop about 5 - 10 degrees.  I had to keep it wide open to maintain 230.  I was using Kingsford and went through a whole bag for the 6 hour smoke. Felt like a lot of charcoal to me. Just curious to see how its working out for you and others. Oh, and used a charcoal basket made out of expanded metal... I paced it on top of the included rack to elevate it a little.
That about summarizes my experience with the offset Smoker I followed some mods that another did on the forum-  it helped but i guess i was impatient;)  I just built my own block smoker and i use the 4in1 as a grill- or for smoking something quicker like a slab of ribs-  I do however want to cook a steak atop the firebox on a mesquite log fire/coals :)   I however DO like the design instructions posted above.   Far better looking than what I did ;)  My only concern is the use of galvanized metal-- but i digress

Last edited:
Have not smoked anything yet. Having read through numerous posts, it appears the nomex gasket is the way to go but couldn't find it locally so waiting for that order.

I purchased and started using mine in February, I have used store bought wood and have had a hard time keeping the heat regulated it jumps as high as 491 then down to low 100's it kind of drove me crazy. About a month ago I was given a good amount of aged sugar maple logs that had been split and most are a perfect size for the fire box. I generally smoke something every weekend and have used this maple for the last 4 or 5 times and my temps are soooo much better. I start out with 1 chimney of Kingsford charcoal then lay a 1 big piece of maple or a couple if they are smaller, I leave the side vent wide open and close the chimney almost all the way and use this to raise and lower my temps. Usually at some point I have to stir and roll the wood but I have even smoked a Boston butt for 8 hours with 1 maple log and was able to hold a 250 degree temp steady for the entire time. My conclusion is it is the wood not the smoker, but just like anything that is new to you, you have to figure out what make it work for you, you have to play with the vents etc... until you figure out the character and personality of your smoker, no 2 are alike, but mostly I am saying the wood is the key, store bought wood seems to be very light is comparison to the maple logs so my theory is it burns really hot very fast but then burns up very fast and you have to add more and more and that is what the companies that sell this wood depend on so you buy more and more, find a supplier of "real" wood near you or cut your own and give that a try, Craig's List is loaded with wood suppliers and a great place to start, I am looking into other types of wood to start playing with, oak, cherry, apple, mulberry etc.... it seems to be plentiful in my area and the prices are not unreasonable especially if you only need 1 or 2 logs for an 8 hour smoke a rick could last you several smoking seasons unless you are like me and smoke all year round then it may last a couple years. HAPPY SMOKING

Great comment about wood used.  I was using either store bought chunks (hickory) or hickory mini logs,  When compared to wood you cut yourself, kiln dried burns quicker and hotter-   I should have mentioned- i also made a charcoal baseket from expanded steel- that helped me get alot closer to where i needed to be-  though keeping them all from igniting at once, thats a different story;)

I recently purchased this grill, I completed all the mod's as listed above. I used JB weld to seal the fire box and the holes between the gas and charcoal grill side( I JB welded and flashing to seal the holes) , and made an expanded metal charcoal holder as listed in one of the other posts. I used the Big Green Egg gasket to seal the lid of the fire box and smoker lid. For my first smoke I chose something easy to try....I did 3 fatty's, the smoker work GREAT I was able to maintain a constant temp of 230-240 degrees through out the whole process( I used the Maverick 2 prong thermometer, the stock thermometers were off by 15 degrees when i checked them prior to use).

I also extended the chimney inside with flashing.

I used Royal Oak Lump charcoal, and the Apple wood chunks from Wally World for the wood.

Well I got around to using the smoker again this weekend. Had some issues with getting it up to temp. I finally figured out that it was because I had too much charcoal in the basket. With the basket elevated, charcoal was pretty much blocking the inlet to the smoking chamber. This is just a theory but it seemed as the charcoal started going down, my temps got to about 230 and was really easy to maintain. Here are the ribs I did... Came out pretty good.

Do you have any picts of the Mods you made?  they would be extremely helpful. thanks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky