Small Coppa

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
Here is a small not very pretty coppa, but I think we will drop some salt and cure #2 on it just the same.
IMG_1891.jpeg

it is an older upright freezer that runs on r-12 not frostless. It worked just fine until the system just gave up. It runs but doesn’t cool much. I need to get rid of it but here I have to pay for professional evac or no dump or recycling center can legally take it. Just a PITA and I’m not in for a several hundred dollar replacement and don’t want a Craig’s list unit because I’ll soon end up in this same spot. So I’ve rolled back and just use Umai bags but that just isnt the same at all. My wife wants me to buy a replacement but I just can’t justify the money. All of my controllers are still good, dehumidifier and humidifier as well, just don’t want to drop the coin just yet. indaswamp indaswamp

I have seriously considered doing the chillers and convert like you did, but I’m not sure about doing that. Sounds good, but just not sure.

I need to get rid of it but here I have to pay for professional evac or no dump or recycling center can legally take it
Ummmmm, oops, sorry about that, it musta fallen off the back of my truck while I was hauling it to the evac dude .........

Reactions: cptnding
Here, you can just put it at the road and someone will come by and pick it up. Lots of junk deals and metal recyclers....not worth the hassle if ya ask me, they don't make much per unit.

Here, you can just put it at the road and someone will come by and pick it up. Lots of junk deals and metal recyclers....not worth the hassle if ya ask me, they don't make much per unit.
Here in Colofornia, we have to have a green tag from a certified HVAC stating they evacuated the R-12 out of the system. We used to be able to just show a cut line (evacuated) but now we have to have cert or legally nobody can touch it. So then I actually thought about getting certified in Freon, here in Colofornia it takes a 2 year college course or 2 years under tutelage from a HVAC company. Pure meadow muffins.

indaswamp indaswamp , do you think the chillers would be worth the effort here? It’s your typical 26-ish cf up right freezer. It’s a good insulated box.

Same here. The metal scavengers will get it before the sun comes up. I don't think its worth the hassle either but hey whatever blows your hair back.

indaswamp indaswamp , do you think the chillers would be worth the effort here? It’s your typical 26-ish cf up right freezer. It’s a good insulated box.
first, post some pics. of the inside of the box so I can have a look....Also, need the width of the back wall.

If you are interested in it, yeah....it is doable. But You will be drilling through the walls so you'll have to evac. the lines anyhow.

What are they charging to evac the units?

What are they charging to evac the units?
I have no idea the cost, should be free since they get to keep the Freon.

I already have about a 1 1/2” hole in the back wall top right hand corner looking in from the front. That’s where my power supply and sensor wires come in. I’ll get some pictures and dimensions.

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky