Slims Jims last night

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

goat

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 27, 2005
Uvalde, TX
I made my first slims jims last night. I had everything set and the meat ready to stuff, so I thought. I had ordered 16mm collagen casings and a stuffer tube for them. I put the tube on the stuffer, but could not get the casings to go over the tube. Either I ordered the wrong size tube or they sent the wrong size tube. I found that if I pulled (unraveled) the casings, I could then get short lengths of it on the stuffing tube, so I stuffed 10 lbs of slims jims in approximately 6 to 8 ft sections. Oh well, when I was finished smoking them, I cut them into 8 inch pieces anyway. Oh yes, about 2 AM I ordered the correct stuffing tube.
b8015c26_vbattach15854.jpg

c4696a33_vbattach15855.jpg

That's what I figured. And I was pretty sure that most of the folks around here couldn't create eats like that without sampling along the way... just to make sure it was tasting right.
biggrin.gif

Those are "great" goat. ...
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
...and ya used your new smoker ? Is it to your liking ?

Cajun, So far it is working just like the book said it would.

Cajun, I thought I told you I wrote a book about that smoker.

That is what I had, was a 1/2 inch tube. I needed and have ordered a 3/8" tube for those 16mm casings.

After re-reading all the posts and such.......guess you did write a book. My mistake ....
redface.gif
icon_redface.gif

Goat those are great lookin snack sticks , haven't done those yet , but there on the list
icon_mrgreen.gif
thanks for sharing the q-view
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Those look perfect Daryle.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
How hot did you run the smoker and how long did ya smoke them? Did the whole string of sausage cook evenly, or did the top get done quicker than the bottom? Did you stick a probe in any of them, or just go by feel? Ok, thats it for, "fourty questions for today"
wink.gif

goat
Nice looking sticks, you nailed it your first try; congrats !!! Seems you can not have a large enough selection of tube sizes on hand, sooner or later they all get used.

Big arm,
Here are the temps, 130*/1 hr, 145*w/ smoke/3 hrs, 160*w/smoke/1 hr, and 180* until it reached 155*. I put a probe in the bottom end of 2 sticks and when they both read 155*, I took it out of the smoker.

The venison bacon is out of the smoker and in the fridg. I will slice tomorrow and compare notes with you.

Daryle

They look fantastic!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I have to unravel mine casings for slim jims also. I haven't found a 3/8" for the 5 lbs stuffer but it works!

BWT The jerky is very good also! Perect amount of pepper!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky