Sirloin Tip Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sven137

Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
I am new here as you can tell. So Howdy!

My question is this. I saw an ad in a local grocery for Sirloin Tip Roast $2.99lb from a grocery that usually has really good meat. I sent my wife to investigate (oh, they also had whole chickens for $.99lb). She called me and said yeah they have them but they are only 2lbs or there abouts. The only two good looking cuts they had left were approx 2.4lbs. I told her to get one only because I am new to smoking beef and wanted to experiment (and she got two incredible looking birds). When she got home I saw the roast and it was the size of a small tri-tip or a big steak, and very lean. Put simply, I don't know if I wanna smoke this. I think I would rather charcoal grill it on a Weber kettle along with some Turkey Burgers I've been meaning to grill. I will be smoking the birds on my MES so I would love to consolidate, but I don't see this cut working out at Med Rare in the smoker as I do on the fire. I have pretty much settled on tenderizing the shiite out of it and marinating it in teriyaki for 4 hours and grilling it like I would a steak.

Am I going wrong by not smoking it? Or am I right to assume that such a small cut that is that lean should be grilled?

Turned out incredible but was overshadowed by the best chicken I've ever smoked.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky