Shad Roe (Best Ever)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice thread Bear, I've never seen this one before ! I don't think I could find Shad Roe here.... If I could I sure give er a try !
icon14.gif
Thanks Justin!!

And like I said above to "Bear55", you can always try it on a number of other fish----My favorites are Sucker Roe, Shad, Bluegill, Crappies, Perch, Bass (LM and SM).

Ones I don't eat are Trout & Salmon.

And for all the guys who never had it & tell us they don't like it, read my little True Story in Post #4 above.

Bear

Bear I'm sure that I would not like the fried row but in saying that I wouldn't know as I have never tried it.

The reason for me sticking my nose in here is to just say how well you explain yourself when you do a show and tell. The only time I'm not on the same page as you is when you name something that we Aussies have another name for.

I must admit that finding this forum was one of the best finds around and I would like to thank you and the rest of the forum for introducing me to a whole new world of food.

Cheers from Down Under
Thank You Sir!!!

I figured Various Fish Roe would be a common Staple in Australia!!

And Thank You for the kind words!!

I Appreciate them.

Bear

Well,I tried. I think there must be a difference in American shad in the Pacific versus the Atlantic. It was edible. Even not bad. But that isn't good enough for me.

Texture was as expected, soft but with little "poppers" and the flavor definitely had some bacon, some fish, but then something I couldn't put my finger on. Not unpleasant, but not great either.

So it's likely I won't do it again. Getting the skeins out and soaking them and boiling them and frying them seemed like too much work for food that I wasn't crazy about.

My friends think I am crazy. I tried to like it, it just didn't work out. I could understand if someone else liked it, but it just seemed like quite a bit of work for what was mediocre food.

Bear, I clearly have to get to the east coast in May/June so I can eat some proper shad roe from their native waters.

Last edited:
Well,I tried. I think there must be a difference in American shad in the Pacific versus the Atlantic. It was edible. Even not bad. But that isn't good enough for me.

Texture was as expected, soft but with little "poppers" and the flavor definitely had some bacon, some fish, but then something I couldn't put my finger on. Not unpleasant, but not great either.

So it's likely I won't do it again. Getting the skeins out and soaking them and boiling them and frying them seemed like too much work for food that I wasn't crazy about.

My friends think I am crazy. I tried to like it, it just didn't work out. I could understand if someone else liked it, but it just seemed like quite a bit of work for what was mediocre food.

Bear, I clearly have to get to the east coast in May/June so I can eat some proper shad roe from their native waters.
Well at least you tried.

Must be the difference in Shad. I only blanch them if I have a whole mess of them & want to freeze them. If I get one or 2 sets I just soak them in salt water first like I do a lot of fish. Then right to the Pan or broiler.

If you want to run into them in PA and NJ, better make that March & April in stores & restaurants, and April & May in the River.

Thanks for getting back to me. Yours looked like the Hickory Shad that run in out Susquehanna River. They're smaller & I never tried them.

Do you have Suckers out there---Those are actually my favorite of all Roe. I used to shoot them with Bow & Arrow, take the Roe out, and give the bodies to my Grandfather to rototill into his garden.

Bear

Hi Bear. I STILL have not been able to get shad roe here at all and must try some when that opportunity presents itself.

Meanwhile, I am living vicariously through your posts of such and loving it! Thanks for the education! I am so excited to sample it when it appears!

Great post! Cheers! - Leah

Hi Bear. I STILL have not been able to get shad roe here at all and must try some when that opportunity presents itself.

Meanwhile, I am living vicariously through your posts of such and loving it! Thanks for the education! I am so excited to sample it when it appears!

Great post! Cheers! - Leah
Thank You Leah!!

The season's winding down here in the Delaware----Maybe two weeks left in the Northern part of the Delaware. I haven't checked the stores around here lately, but I'm sure they're not getting them any more this late in the season, as they get them from the Bay, before they make the run  up the Delaware River.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky