Shad Roe (Best Ever)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Shad Roe (The Best Ever)

This Stuff Was Perfect !!!!

I showed you all how I make my Pan Fried Shad Roe:
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/104682/shad-roe-bears-favorite-food

And I showed you how I make my Broiled Shad Roe:
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/105827/broiled-shad-roe-with-bacon

But the Shad Roe I made this time is even better than either of them, or any other Shad Roe I ever ate in my 55+ years of eating Shad Roe.
The two previous methods are cooking the Roe in their sacks, and you have to fry or broil them long enough to get the outer portion of the sacks a little too done in order to get the inside done to my liking.
The method I tried with these ended up just out of this world !!!! It all ends up nice and tender, yet completely done.
And the flavor is just so good, it's hard to even describe!!!--
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
---One of the best things I have eaten in my entire life!!!

My "Step by Step" will be in the captions with the pictures:

Note: I did a few of these since this batch, and I put two slices of buttered toast on the plate first, then dumped the Bacon & Shad roe right on top-----Awesome-----I will be doing that from now on!!!

Thanks For Looking,
Bear

First, I always soak fresh Shad Roe in ice cold salt water over night.
This will draw the excess blood out of the sets:
DSC03426.jpg

Then I drain the salt water, and soak it in plain ice water for a few hours, changing the ice water a few times.
This will ensure that they won't be salty tasting from soaking in salt water:
DSC03427.jpg

Then I get a pot of water boiling, and put about 3 sets in at a time for about 3 minutes,
or however long it takes to not be raw & bloody inside.
I use a large slotted spoon to check, and to remove to paper towels when they get to that point.
On these you can see how they blossomed a lot, because I removed all the joining tissue before boiling.
That doesn't matter with these, because we're going to cut the Roe up in small pieces before frying.
Also----Notice that I put all the extra Roe in one of my freezer drawers, after lining it with plastic wrap.
I leave them in that drawer for 3 or 4 hours, before vacuum packing & freezing them.
I put the amount in each package that I figure I will eat for a meal.
In this case, it came out exactly the same as the number of sets----10 packages.
So, in other words, this picture shows 9 meals for me and/or my Son, not counting the pack I'm making today:
DSC03430.jpg

Now----Back to the ones I'm making now;
Cut up the amount of Roe you're going to make.
DSC03439-2.jpg

Then put a bunch of Home Smoked Belly Bacon in a frying pan, and get it started frying.
At this point I also add a tsp or two of butter:
DSC03440.jpg

Now dump the Shad Roe pieces into the pan with the Bacon.
Stir & flip the whole works a number of times with a spatula, until it's all nice and hot & bubbly.
Keep a lid on, or a splatter shield, because Shad Roe eggs are like gun powder.
Only remove the lid long enough to flip & stir the Eggs & Bacon.
If you look close you can see little eggs stuck to the inside of my Pan Lid.
Without the lid, those hot eggs could go into your eyes or on your kitchen ceiling!!!!
And yes, depending on how good your reflexes are, it might be a good idea to wear some kind of glasses!
DSC03441.jpg

All done in the pan:
DSC03442.jpg

Plated and ready to eat.
OMG, The Bear's eating good tonight!! This Stuff Is Awesome!!!
DSC03445.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: bdskelly
Great post John but...I still ain't convinced!...
biggrin.gif
...JJ

Hey Bear!

What a great post and step-by-step!  Between you and Mick, I feel like my life cannot go on until I can acquire some roe and try it out. Unfortunately, I do not know how to fish....but I'll hit up my local fish guy and see if he can get a hold of some shad roe....DaveOmak says shad should be coming into the Columbia soon.

I loved your pictures, and also the detailed safety instructions.  And here I thought that cutting or burning yourself were the only dangers in cooking!  "You'll shoot your eye out" never occured to me.

Thanks for your post, and have a great day!

Clarissa

Great post John but...I still ain't convinced!...
biggrin.gif
...JJ
LOL----I told this story before, but I'll tell it again:

Many moons ago (about 20 years ago), I was sitting at the bar, at Spinnerstown Hotel. That had been my after work hang-out for decades, as I also built the bar, two kitchens, and all of the waitress stations there. Then in comes a young lady, and she sits right next to me. She orders a beer, and then orders "Shad Roe". The bartender looks at me, and laughs, because although many people ordered Shad Roe in the Dining Room, I was about the only one who ordered it at the bar. The young lady says,"What, you guys don't like Shad Roe???" I replied, "I love Shad Roe, but I was laughing because none of the wimps around here eat Shad Roe, and until just now, the only females I know who eat Shad Roe are my two Sisters. She said, "Well I just moved into the area, and found out they serve Shad Roe here, so you can plan on my showing up here every Spring, when the Shad are in season, and BTW you have two very intelligent Sisters."

Bear

Hey Bear!

What a great post and step-by-step!  Between you and Mick, I feel like my life cannot go on until I can acquire some roe and try it out. Unfortunately, I do not know how to fish....but I'll hit up my local fish guy and see if he can get a hold of some shad roe....DaveOmak says shad should be coming into the Columbia soon.

I loved your pictures, and also the detailed safety instructions.  And here I thought that cutting or burning yourself were the only dangers in cooking!  "You'll shoot your eye out" never occured to me.

Thanks for your post, and have a great day!

Clarissa
Thanks Clarissa!!!

I don't know about the West Coast Shad, but with these Delaware River Shad, you gotta know what you're doing to catch them. I never did good catching them, so I've been buying them ($10 per set). However my Son ran into an old guy at a Pool match, who is about the best there is at catching Shad. He was the President of the "Delaware River Shad Fishing Association"----They call him "Shad-Pappy". He took my Son with him one day last week, and my Son caught 25 Shad---18 of them were Roe Shad. My Son has a Bass Boat, with a Jet motor, which is perfect for the rocky Delaware River (No Prop').

Bear

I knew who posted this before I even opened it!  The Bearcarver is BACK!  Good to hear that you are making great things again Bear!!!

yahoo.gif
Thanks Frosty!!!

LOL--How did you know?

I missed you too!!

Bear

Hey, Bear...as always, great and detailed post!  I gotta say I'm with JJ on this one...not sure I'm convinced yet.  But there was a time I would have said that about lamb fries too, and now I can't imagine a world without 'em.

Red

Hey, Bear...as always, great and detailed post!  I gotta say I'm with JJ on this one...not sure I'm convinced yet.  But there was a time I would have said that about lamb fries too, and now I can't imagine a world without 'em.

Red
Yeah, I know----I had some Buddies who went "Yuck" for years, but it was just in their heads. I made them some, and got them to try it, and they loved it !!!

Now they order it in restaurants, if the price isn't too outrageous !!!

I was weaned on that kind of thing, as were my siblings, because our Dad was a hunting & fishing machine.

We were eating Catfish long before it was accepted above the Mason-Dixon Line-----My favorite fish!!!

Thanks Red,

Bear

Bear

These are the best step by step instructions, that I have ever read, on something I'll never do, !!!  LOL

Brian

points1.png

Bear

These are the best step by step instructions, that I have ever read, on something I'll never do, !!!  LOL

Brian

points1.png
Thanks Brian!!

I Appreciate That !!

Stop up here one Spring & I'll make you some Shad Roe. Then you'll be scouring all the Texas Fish Markets looking for more!!
drool.gif

Bear

I've never had, but would try it.

Richard
You can get a Preview of how good they are by taking the Roe sacks from some of those monster Mississippi Crappies & BlueGills. Be careful to not tear the membrane. Then soak in salt water for a few hours to overnight. Then into plain cold water for an hour or so. Then Fry them in butter in a Pan---Not too rare & not well done. Keep the lid on the Pan except when flipping them over, or they'll spit at you!!! They're a little like Gun Powder!!

Now taste that, and tell me how much you liked it. I don't know if Spawning season is over down there for this year, but you might want to get some quick!!

Bear

Nice thread Bear, I've never seen this one before ! I don't think I could find Shad Roe here.... If I could I sure give er a try ! Thumbs Up

Bear I'm sure that I would not like the fried row but in saying that I wouldn't know as I have never tried it.

The reason for me sticking my nose in here is to just say how well you explain yourself when you do a show and tell. The only time I'm not on the same page as you is when you name something that we Aussies have another name for.

I must admit that finding this forum was one of the best finds around and I would like to thank you and the rest of the forum for introducing me to a whole new world of food.

Cheers from Down Under

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky