Sausage Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
IMHO, I would add dehydrated green bell pepper flakes and dehydrated onion flakes to the meat. Anyway, I dont think you are going to get what your looking for if you add them to the meat. Adding any type of onions to sausage will give the sausage a bologna type flavor so if you add it to the italian sausage the flavor its not going to taste like a Italian sausage sandwich with green peppers and onions

My 2 cents
Thanks Joe. Hope all is well for you, I hate that I just got into sausage and won't get to pick your brain at the N FL Gatherings anymore. Watching you guys at the gathering a couple years ago was my first experience and man I wished I was taking notes. Decided not to do any onions or peppers this go round and thanks for the input, it's probably easier to cook them afterwards and slap them on top of the sausage.
And yes I'm about to post the pictures, just finished and need to clean this mess up.
Kyle

If I had to guess I would add 1 cup to 10 lbs of meat. Let the moisture in the meat rehydrate the peppers.

Kyle... how's things going out there in the wild west.. LOL... Thinking you should do like Jeff and Brian and get ya a plane ride to the gathering... won't be the same without ya ... sausage aughta be good....

Kyle... how's things going out there in the wild west.. LOL... Thinking you should do like Jeff and Brian and get ya a plane ride to the gathering... won't be the same without ya ... sausage aughta be good....
It's going pretty good other than waking up to snow all the time, my blood was made for the south, and intend to get back that way in the next couple of years! I wish I could make it, but we have a big inspection in May so nobody is going anywhere in April this year. But I'll be watching the thread!

Alright so after asking the question and racking my brain on which route I decided to go.....I woke up to this
So there was no way I was getting my southern born butt out in this to go to the store for peppers or onions. I'm gonna try the dehydrated red peppers as shown in a post above when I make my next batch.

So onto this batch. I did:
PORK:
5lbs of AC Leggs Blend #6 breakfast sausage
5lbs of Excalibur #10 breakfast sausage
5lbs of Backwoods Sweet Italian
5lbs of Backwoods Sweet Italian and added 2tsp of cayenne pepper
1lb of Excalibur Chorizo 1-Z
CHICKEN:
5lbs of Backwoods Sweet Italian (used three breasts and deboned 8 thighs and ground skin and meat)

Here is my little set up, had 21lbs of pork to grind and 5lbs of chicken, glad I had a helper.
I was cutting and he was grinding. Not the best grinder(the actual grinder, not my buddy, he did great) in the world but it did the job, and I got it cheap. Wanted to see if this was a passion I had or a impulse, this being my second batch I'm considering it a passion so when this little guy dies I'll dive in head first and get a cabelas or a LEM.
So got everything ground and seasoned and stuffed. Decided to do 2-1lb bags of each of the Italians so I could make spaghetti or lasagna with and linked the rest into brats. Gave my buddy his cut for helping and this is what was left for the freezer.
All in all great day and full freezer. Only taste tested the #10 so far and really loved the flavor. And thanks to BamaFan for giving me most of this seasoning and a great value buy on my 5lb sausagemaker stuffer.
Thanks for all the advice and for looking.
Kyle

Don't blame you on getting out, Looking good Keep us posted

gary

Well I made breakfast for dinner last night and tried the #6 breakfast sausage. It was good but I liked the flavor of the #10 much better for a traditional flavor.
This is the #6
Tonight I took all the scraps (the seasoned sausage that was left in the stuffing tube between switching flavors) and made a batch of spaghetti. It turned out awesome but I can't speak on each individual flavor cause the three different Italians were all mixed. But I did cook up one spare sausage that didn't make it to the freezer. It was the sweet Italian pork and it was mighty tasty. Still working on my stuffing ability but I didn't have any bubbles or blowouts so far.
Awesome flavor, and perfect consistency for us.

I'm really addicted to this.
Kyle

Fun and Good Eats   a winning combination 

Gary

<Chuckles>

Addicted? Get to know your butcher's kids birthdays...LOL

Its the smell of smoke. Can you imagine how terrible it would be to be a fireman and have to smell all that nasty smoke all the time?

Weloome to my addiction.

Addicted? Get to know your butcher's kids birthdays...LOL

Its the smell of smoke. Can you imagine how terrible it would be to be a fireman and have to smell all that nasty smoke all the time?

Weloome to my addiction.
Haha, that's a plan but I have a hard enough time remembering my wife's! I got bit by the smoke bug and can't seem to even get up the nerve to lite the grill anymore. I just love the final product of anything that comes out of the smoker.

Alright so after asking the question and racking my brain on which route I decided to go.....I woke up to this

This is exactly the reason I moved back up here!  I got so tired of not having four REAL seasons every year.  Spent the last 12 years on the Gulf Coast, and although I loved it and the people, I needed to get back to the mountains.  Truth be told, this has been a fairly mild winter, though our low up here has gotten down to -15 a few times but we did get into the lower 50s a couple of times!

This is exactly the reason I moved back up here!  I got so tired of not having four REAL seasons every year.  Spent the last 12 years on the Gulf Coast, and although I loved it and the people, I needed to get back to the mountains.  Truth be told, this has been a fairly mild winter, though our low up here has gotten down to -15 a few times but we did get into the lower 50s a couple of times!
I guess we are opposites cause I can only dream to get back to the gulf coast. Spent 6 years in the panhandle of Florida before coming out here and my body just can't figure out how to handle this. It's pretty but I like a little humidity and oxygen in my air, I swear they don't make oxygen at this altitude

C'mon up to where I live, 9100 feet!

And the MAJOR reason we moved was the humidity during the summers.  Nothing like coming out of the shower and getting wetter after you've dried off.  Pensacola isn't that bad humidity wise compared to south MS and LA, though.  Went to Knife and Fork school there and enjoyed my time there.  Even had orders there until a hurricane tore the place up pretty good.  Ended up being stationed in Mayport, that led to Iraq that led to me retiring.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky