Salmon - dry brine too long?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Follow up on my original post.

I chopped some of my salty smoked salmon that I dry brined way too long and stirred it into the smoked salmon dip I bought at Costco. I served it at a potluck bonfire party Saturday night and at our Chiefs tailgate party yesterday. Everybody loved the salty smoky flavor it added. :p The wife of one of my close friends who used to compete on the local BBQ circuit commented that this is how she wished their smoke salmon dip tasted. Ouch. That will leave a mark. Too funny.
Right on.
Unless unsafe to consume any meat/fush can be used regardless of how bad it was overcoked/seasoned.

You can make your own spread/dip. Just blitz the salty salmon with cream cheese and aromatics. Don't season until you taste it.

Do you like guacamole? Make some and add a handful of that salmon.

The costco dip seemed more of a sour cream/mayo base with dill flavor. I'm on the lookout for a cream cheese based recipe. Didn't have time to build from scratch this weekend with 2 football tailgates and a potluck bonfire. o_Oo_Oo_O I'm too old for that many parties in 48 hours. My liver hurts. :D

Follow up on my original post.

I chopped some of my salty smoked salmon that I dry brined way too long and stirred it into the smoked salmon dip I bought at Costco. I served it at a potluck bonfire party Saturday night and at our Chiefs tailgate party yesterday. Everybody loved the salty smoky flavor it added. :p The wife of one of my close friends who used to compete on the local BBQ circuit commented that this is how she wished their smoke salmon dip tasted. Ouch. That will leave a mark. Too funny.

Ouch? Hero time, tell her how you turned a mistake into gold.
No shame in that.
I make my own Salmon Dip/Spread a lot. One of my favorite was to s-t-r-e-a-c-h expensive meat.
But I'm supposed to be watching my salt. So I don't usually have much in mine.

Or the alcohol... :(

I'll go with the Costco dip story. :rolleyes::cool:

Of course I came clean to my buddy and his wife exactly how I ended up with the salty costco salmon dip. Never tried to frame it as anything different. Me and my buddy only see each other a few times a year and always end up talking about our projects smoking meat. Sharing where we found good deals etc. One of those 25+ year friends that no matter how long it's been, you pick up right where you left off.

Last edited:
Ouch? Hero time, tell her how you turned a mistake into gold.
No shame in that.
I make my own Salmon Dip/Spread a lot. One of my favorite was to s-t-r-e-a-c-h expensive meat.
But I'm supposed to be watching my salt. So I don't usually have much in mine.

I saw that recipe posted earlier in this thread. Thanks for sharing it. I didn't have a hot minute to try and pull off a recipe last weekend. Next attempt I'll use cream cheese, and probably a blend of mayo/sour cream + some spicy savory seasonings. I grow some spicy spanish pimento peppers that I use for a pimento cheese spread. Probably take it when I visit family at Thanksgiving and get to tell the whole dry brine story over again to the smokers in the family.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky