Safe Smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The problem is that while Mr Kim might be able to get away with it, anyone who might contemplate emulating his technique might miss something he doesn't show and then what've you got?  I wouldn't want to be sitting at that table.  I've had food poisoning once, and thank you very much, I'm not interested in repeating that event, ever again.  There are far too many incompetent talking heads with beautiful hair misleading people onto the path of poor food handling techniques, so when someone says:  Hey, wait a minute, that's not a safe technique and we should look at the proper method, you counter with a:  Hey, that's ok, he's been doing it for years and hasn't "killed"(my insert word) any one yet...Therefore..... 

So, how do you like playing Devil's Advocate?  Is it really making a contribution to our food safety awareness that many of us "beginner's" are trying to learn or do you just like to nitpick everything to a contrary point for the "fun" of it? If it is, please point it out because I guess in my poor old feeble mind, I'm missing your point.  You need not respond, you'll just waffle with a "Oh, I didn't mean that, I, uh, was just saying.....".  Gotcha pal.

In case you miss my point, most of us (well, ME for sure)  consider food handling and food safety to be of paramount importance.  I'll rely on the word as spoken by a "certified in more training sessions than we care to count" individual than someone who prefers to not bother to see the reasoning or thinks his/her way is cute and just so promotional on some airhead cooking show.

Now, I'll step off my soapbox with the knowledge that I will in no way use a technique that might endanger the health of one of my family or guests at one of my too infrequent cookout gatherings.

Admin, I stand ready for any admonishment you care to render. 

~NWDave

I have worked in some third world countries and on some of the islands and their are no real food regs that are set for the food vendors to follow.

I'm sure that the natives of these places have been exsposed to certain bacterium and bugs all their lives so that they may have built up an immunity to some things that would make us ill.

i would allways watch where i ate while outside the USA . usually let somebody else be the guinea pig. Have to watch when ya get down in central and south america, They get a kick out of selling tourist chicken (Iguana) to the unsuspecting tourist.

I'm pretty sure that this was directed at me, so I'll reply.

Last I checked, this forum was a place for posting ideas & opinions. I've posted mine in various threads and have given reasons for my ways. You can agree, or you can not. It's your call. There are many members in various countries on this forum, with different regulations. As well, various members have different ideas as to cooking methods. Some may feel safe to some & some may not. It is an individual call IMO. 

Personally, I really don't care whether you agree with me or not, because that isn't the issue, what the issue is, is whether the method of preparing the food is effective and safe, based on science, regardless of one's opinion or various guidelines.

When, I see a recipe or a method of cooking that may be different, I will try it, and I will post the results whatever they are. 

Also, you mentioned food safety awareness. I'm pretty aware myself, I just don't blindly hide behind regulations. Unlike some, I make an effort to buy locally grown product from farmers who care how their animals are raised. And when I post, I post based on personal experience, not on innuendo or some website(except for definitions).

p.s.. Next time, if you want to call me out, at least have the cojones to be direct about it. 

The problem is that while Mr Kim might be able to get away with it, anyone who might contemplate emulating his technique might miss something he doesn't show and then what've you got?  I wouldn't want to be sitting at that table.  I've had food poisoning once, and thank you very much, I'm not interested in repeating that event, ever again.  There are far too many incompetent talking heads with beautiful hair misleading people onto the path of poor food handling techniques, so when someone says:  Hey, wait a minute, that's not a safe technique and we should look at the proper method, you counter with a:  Hey, that's ok, he's been doing it for years and hasn't "killed"(my insert word) any one yet...Therefore..... 

So, how do you like playing Devil's Advocate?  Is it really making a contribution to our food safety awareness that many of us "beginner's" are trying to learn or do you just like to nitpick everything to a contrary point for the "fun" of it? If it is, please point it out because I guess in my poor old feeble mind, I'm missing your point.  You need not respond, you'll just waffle with a "Oh, I didn't mean that, I, uh, was just saying.....".  Gotcha pal.

In case you miss my point, most of us (well, ME for sure)  consider food handling and food safety to be of paramount importance.  I'll rely on the word as spoken by a "certified in more training sessions than we care to count" individual than someone who prefers to not bother to see the reasoning or thinks his/her way is cute and just so promotional on some airhead cooking show.

Now, I'll step off my soapbox with the knowledge that I will in no way use a technique that might endanger the health of one of my family or guests at one of my too infrequent cookout gatherings.

Admin, I stand ready for any admonishment you care to render. 

~NWDave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky