Rub and bbq sauce recipes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Here's my go to rub and sauce for ribs:

Dead Chicken Cafe
BBQ Ribs

Dry Rub

2 Tablespoons Paprika
2 Tablespoons Dark Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
2 Teaspoons Black Pepper
2 Teaspoons Onion Powder
2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
Combine all ingredients; coat both sides of ribs; wrap ribs tightly in plastic wrap and in fridge for 24 hours.

Sauce

¾ Cup Catsup
3 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Dark Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon Honey
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tablespoon Yellow Mustard
1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
¼ Teaspoon Wright's Liquid Smoke
1 Teaspoon Alderwood Smoked Sea Salt
¼ Teaspoon Red Pepper
1 Teaspoon Lemon Zest
1 Tablespoon Crystal Lite Lemonade Powder

Combine all Sauce ingredients; Bring to a boil, reduce, simmer for 30 minutes. Use to baste the ribs.

For rib rub i like Butcher BBQ savory pecan rub or Honey Rub. for chicken i like the honey rub i mentioned or the wild cherry rub form Butcher BBQ. I have lots of other rubs (Weber chicken and rib rub for both too), but Butcher BBQ or even the Weber is my go to for those meats.

For sauce i use a few varieties of SBR (sweet baby ray), such as hickory brown sugar. but my go to sauce is my homemade Candy apple red i have shared on here several times...

1/4 stick margerine or butter
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup AC vinegar
3/4 cup turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw)
1 Tbsp salt
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp garlic
3 Tbsp paprika (mild)

mix ingredients in a small pot.
bring to low boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
let sit in fridge after cooling for a couple of hours.

can substitute brown sugar for raw sugar but will burn much easier.
can spice it up with cayenne pepper and hot paprika.

Here is the color you get...

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

I'll copy paste this.. not sure on the rules to linking to outside sites really...

Recipe: Root Beer Glazed Drumsticks
©From the Kitchen of Deep South Dish
Inactive time: 2 hours 30 min |Cook time: 25 min | Yield: About 4 to 6 servings

Ingredients

For the Brine:
  • 4.5 pound package of chicken drumsticks
  • Just under a gallon of water
  • 6 tablespoons kosher salt
  • 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
For the Rub:
  • 1/4 cup of paprika
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
  • 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning (like Slap Ya Mama), or to taste, optional
For the Root Beer Glaze:
  • 1/2 bottle of Barq's, or your favorite root beer (roughly a cup)
  • 1/2 cup of light brown sugar, packed
  • 1/2 cup of ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon of BBQ sauce
  • 2 tablespoons of pepper jelly or other jam/jelly
  • 1 teaspoon of spicy mustard
Instructions

For the brine, whisk together the salt and sugar with the water until dissolved. Place chicken into a zipper bag and pour the brine over, seal, set in a container and refrigerate for two hours. Drain, rinse well, and pat dry.

Mix together the rub ingredients and rub all over the chicken. Loosely cover and let sit in refrigerator until needed, or at least 30 minutes.

For the glaze, combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until reduced and thickened. Hold over very low heat until needed.

I've used that glaze on chicken and pork. Dabbed the glaze on burgers too. But you -have- to use Barq's root beer. It's crap with out Barqs!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky