Quick Hot Sauce Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I mixing up my first hot sauce. Ph is 3.6 which is good. I blended and there is thick foam on top. Should I wait until it settles down or try to separate it?

20230812_082302.jpg

Reactions: JLeonard
Let it sit. It should settle some. Are you going to add vinegar or other liquids to it?
I got a hold of Jeff. I added 1/2 cup brine and 1/4 cup vinegar. Jeff had me add another 1/2 cup brine and 1/8 tsp Xanthan gum. It all kind of foamy now. Put in jar and let sit over night. I will report back tomorrow. Thank You

20230812_084805.jpg

I got a hold of Jeff. I added 1/2 cup brine and 1/4 cup vinegar. Jeff had me add another 1/2 cup brine and 1/8 tsp Xanthan gum. It all kind of foamy now. Put in jar and let sit over night. I will report back tomorrow. Thank You

View attachment 673266
Great talking to you today! That looks good in the jar. I think you will be fine tomorrow. If you aren't in a rush to bottle id rest it 2-3 days. If you see separation you can go one more 1/8 t of xanthan. Also forgot to ask you, PH of 3.6 how long was your ferment? Was your brine a 3.5%?

Great talking to you today! That looks good in the jar. I think you will be fine tomorrow. If you aren't in a rush to bottle id rest it 2-3 days. If you see separation you can go one more 1/8 t of xanthan. Also forgot to ask you, PH of 3.6 how long was your ferment? Was your brine a 3.5%?
I used 3.5% brine. Been a little over 2 weeks. The bubbles had stopped. Good luck on your butt cook!

Reactions: jcam222
I used 3.5% brine. Been a little over 2 weeks. The bubbles had stopped. Good luck on your butt cook!
I find that if you go a week or two more your PH will often be below 3. That helps keep foksined sauce ph low enough if you are adding non acidic stuff post ferment.

Making notes here! can you use a immersion blender for the blending. Will it help keep the foaming down? Or do you rec using a regular blender?

Jim

Making notes here! can you use a immersion blender for the blending. Will it help keep the foaming down? Or do you rec using a regular blender?

Jim
I use an immersion blender for the post processing. For brine, vinegar, and xanthan gum. You're going to get some foam. But it'll settle after a day or two.

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky