Questions on the Minion Method

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yooper in wi

Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
Until I joined this sight I had never heard of the minion method. Now that I've been searching and reading information here, I have somewhat of an idea as to what it is, but still have some questions.

1) Can anyone explain what the principle of this method is, and how this works to our advantage?

2) I've seen some pictures showing a basket filled with lump charcoal that is separated by staggered metal plates. Can someone explain this, and how does one go about lighting it? Light one end and let the burn snake it's way through the fuel?

TIA for any information.

Ron

If you don't have very good air circulation in your smoker, the coals in minion method may not all lite up good. They rely on touching each other and air to help them all ignite

Last edited:
Some patterns like rows of charcoal and snakes of touching coals can slowly ignite and last longer than and less hot than a big pile of already lit up coals.. it helps keep fire temperatures keep lower and longer burning.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky