Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
^^^^^this.
The meat takes on smoke strong until the surface temp. of the meat reaches about 140*F. Then it slows down dramatically. Though smoke will still stick to meat with a rub that uses a little sugar. The smoke sticks to the sugar when it is melted, but once it dries the sugar will take no more.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I wouldn't if you like smoke flavor. Meat take son smoke at the beginning of the cook.

Agree! While a piece of meat will continue to take on smoke as long as it's exposed to smoke, it takes more on at the beginning of the cook.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Thanks for the replies. Was a curiosity question. Think I will experiment with this.

^^^^^this.
The meat takes on smoke strong until the surface temp. of the meat reaches about 140*F. Then it slows down dramatically. Though smoke will still stick to meat with a rub that uses a little sugar. The smoke sticks to the sugar when it is melted, but once it dries the sugar will take no more.
This is the bullseye answer. Once meat IT reaches around 140*F no more smoke will penetrate the meat. You can still build surface smoke for as long as it’s in smoke but this is different in flavor than the penetrating smoke. So if you start the cook in the oven by the time you go to the smoker you will get zero smoke ring and zero smoke penetration. Best plan is to flip the two and smoke first then finish in the oven, this works very well.

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky