Quazi UDS build: metal gauge, FB door and insulation ?'s

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
I'll try to keep this as short and to the point as I can. I have medium/moderate metal fabrication and welding skills (have decent gtaw and gmaw machines). Haven't quite figured out exactly how I'm going to do this yet. I found a 55-gallon drum with a cool paint color and logo on it and I like the look of an UDS/55-gallon drum. (not sure I'll be able to save that with the welding though)

I'm thinking of lining a traditional (thin gauge) 55 gallon drum with 12 or 14ga metal. This would create a roughly 3/4" to 1" space between the outer barrel and the inner liner. Then to take it a step further I'd put a thicker (thinking 8ga but open to suggestions) liner/ring around & under the FB.

So biggest questions are about a firebox door. I don't have an issue with the metal fabrication. Just wondering if it is necessary to put a FB door in an UDS? I understand the end-goal is to "get to know" your smoker. Just worried about not having a way to add more fuel both in the beginning and eventually for longer cooks. Should I make a chute type contraption? I guess same would go for a water pan. I may not always cook with a water pan but if I do, should I put in provisions to be able to add more water?

Last question would be about type of insulation. I won't completely air-seal the inner liner and the outer barrel but wondering if I put a heavy gauge steel ring around the FB if that will be enough to protect mineral wool. Thinking about using some Roxul Safe'n'Sound as my insulation between the outer and inner drums.

I'll probably have more questions... Last question is about FB air intake. I see the fancy (expensive) drums have two air intake dampers. Is that what I want? (multiple air intake points)

Any other slick ideas or tricks people would add to a somewhat custom UDS build?

Thanks.

UDS are usually operated using the minion method for heating.. Up to a full bag of charcoal added to a basket... When done cooking, the air inlets are shut down along with the exhaust to extinguish what fuel is remaining...
Since there is no direct flame or high heat on the drum, may I suggest wrapping the drum in insulation and adding a thin skin of sheet metal to cover the insulation... Standoffs can be applied to the drum to prevent crushing the insulation.. Z bar can be used as a standoff....
Fire Box Insulating.jpg

Thanks daveomak. In looking at the drums I bought a little closer I think wrapping the outside would be the only (smart/sane) way to go. That said, the more I look/think about this, the more I think a square vertical smoker is going to be MUCH easier for me to build/make. I think I'm seeing why there are so many "no weld" UDS build threads/blogs. It's pretty easy to weld a rectangle box vertical smoker and the more I think about this... welding a liner or wrapping a drum is going to be a royal pain in the a$$. It would be much much much much much easier to grab some square tubing and a couple sheets of 10/11/12 gauge flat stock. Would involve a lot less welding, bending, fabricating... make insulating easier...

Using square tubing and a rectangle would make it much easier to do a proper firebox with a door (where a variety of fueling methods could be used). Could be exactly the same as an UDS just square. Easier to add baffle plates, mess around with water pans, refueling (if needed) ash disposal, multiple door options/configurations, etc. etc.

At this point, that's where my head is at. Unless someone can point me to a better UDS build, I think a square box is going to be a lot easier (for me). If anything I could do a long rectangle (like a shoebox stood upright) still designed like a UDS but use heat plates and baffles to direct things and maybe if I'm lucky I could one day be able to intentionally make a hot and slightly cooler side for things like brisket with different thicknesses.

Question now is what to do with several 55gal drums...

Thanks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky