Q: Grinding Ice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DailyLunatic

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 11, 2023
Ban Ko Kaeo, Thailand
I feel I read something on this topic, but couldn't find it when I went looking for it.
Pardon if this has been asked.

I've heard that you can put ice in the grinder during and after the grind and that it will a) help keep the meat cooler, b) help to keep the grinding plate clear, and c) push out the last of the meat with less waste. 'C' being especially helpful if using the grinder to stuff the sausage.

If I remember correctly, there was also a warning not to use 'cubes'.

We'll be 'entertaining' in the near future (wife has 10 brothers and sisters that live on the family land with us. *sigh*). Among other things I am wanting an Ice Machine. I'm trying to find one here (Thailand) that makes 'crushed' ice similar to what I saw used in the vid, and what you would find in some restaurants (Sonic). Not having any luck.

Machines I have found so far all produce cubes of various sizes 3/4" - 2", bullet, & tube. Will any of these be preferred over another?

I can also purchase an Ice Crusher. Unfortunately, the results look more like a Snow Cone Machine, than what I think of as Crushed. Will this Snow, or Micro Pellet work in this instance? I can see it pushing, but can't really see it clearing the plate...

I don't want to damage my machine. I also don't want to spend money on the wrong thing.

-sterling

Reactions: JLeonard
I cracked my KitchenAid plastic housing by putting some crushed ice in mine, I skip that bad advice with my new grinder, ymmv

Attachments

• IMG_0624.jpg
    IMG_0624.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 6
I bought this countertop ice maker and it works great. Makes 26 pounds (11.7 kg) per day. You add water to it with a big cup or pitcher. Works surprisingly well. Ice tubes (sort of) only, but small hollow cubes.

There are many others on the market like it. I would suggest checking them out.
That looks like what I was calling 'bullet' ice. Have you run this through your grinder, or only offering as a suggestion for Ice Maker?

Here is a pic of the 'hollow cube' I'm considering.
Ice.jpg

Hopefully the shell will cause fewer issues in the machine. They market as 'fast melting', or 'Slow Melting'.

-sterling

Reactions: JLeonard
I cracked my KitchenAid plastic housing by putting some crushed ice in mine, I skip that bad advice with my new grinder, ymmv

Yeah, I've stumbled across a few stories about the KitchenAid grinding attachment doing that. Even unrelated to ice as well. I was dead set on getting one (needed a mixer anyway). However, that information, plus that the costs for the mixer alone were triple what the dedicated grinder set me back, lead me to what I have.

I think KitchenAid make great mixers, I still want one, and I like the accessories (bowls, blades, etc.) that are available for it. But, only as a mixer, never for any of the powered attachments.

Just my experience.

-sterling

I have not run it through a grinder…but you may want to look at a snow cone machine. Our neighbor has one for their kids and it grinds ice cubes just fine.

I have not run it through a grinder…but you may want to look at a snow cone machine. Our neighbor has one for their kids and it grinds ice cubes just fine.

My understanding on what is happening is two fold.
1) the ice bulk is pushing the last of the meat out of the auger area. Less residue.
-and-
2) the ice 'cuts' any sinew or meat scraps that are stuck/clogging the holes in the grind plates through a sort of abrasive action, allowing them to pass through.

Yeah, I'd thought about using snow cone ice, I think it would be good for simple bulk, but not sure the finer powdered ice will perform the function of 'clearing the grinding plate'.

-sterling

My KA mixer has been great, probably 20+ years old , had it before the grinding attachment but no telling how many hundreds of pounds of meat it ground with 0 problems, it still works fine but I replaced it as I didn't want a failure while processing a deer. The counter top ice maker I have that makes cubes like that makes 9 per 7 minutes, that's a large glass of ice.

I feel I read something on this topic, but couldn't find it when I went looking for it.
Pardon if this has been asked.

I've heard that you can put ice in the grinder during and after the grind and that it will a) help keep the meat cooler, b) help to keep the grinding plate clear, and c) push out the last of the meat with less waste. 'C' being especially helpful if using the grinder to stuff the sausage.

If I remember correctly, there was also a warning not to use 'cubes'.

We'll be 'entertaining' in the near future (wife has 10 brothers and sisters that live on the family land with us. *sigh*). Among other things I am wanting an Ice Machine. I'm trying to find one here (Thailand) that makes 'crushed' ice similar to what I saw used in the vid, and what you would find in some restaurants (Sonic). Not having any luck.

Machines I have found so far all produce cubes of various sizes 3/4" - 2", bullet, & tube. Will any of these be preferred over another?

I can also purchase an Ice Crusher. Unfortunately, the results look more like a Snow Cone Machine, than what I think of as Crushed and troubleshoot frigidaire ice maker. Will this Snow, or Micro Pellet work in this instance? I can see it pushing, but can't really see it clearing the plate...

I don't want to damage my machine. I also don't want to spend money on the wrong thing.

-sterling
Hi everyone, I have a question for those of you already operating your own shops: what size ice machine do you use/recommend? I am in a hot part of the country so I will need a lot of ice, especially in the summers; however, I'd hate to go overboard and never see the bottom of the bin. Any advice is appreciated as I am trying to finalize equipment selections!

Hi everyone, I have a question for those of you already operating your own shops: what size ice machine do you use/recommend? I am in a hot part of the country so I will need a lot of ice, especially in the summers; however, I'd hate to go overboard and never see the bottom of the bin. Any advice is appreciated as I am trying to finalize equipment selections!

I don't run a shop, so cannot advise on size.
However for others here that do not understand why never seeing the bottom is bad.
Ice machines are filthy creatures. I know what you mean, you WANT to see the bottom of the bin. Get to the bottom, or empty and toss the ice, on at least a monthly basis, clean the bin, the trays, etc, with a bleach solution. Mold is the enemy, and will make you, or your guests sick.
-sterling

Too bad you are not in the States, the Sonic franchise (hamburger joint) sells their ice by the bag and it is small pellets. Perfect for sausage making.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky