PWE Maple Sausages

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I am so used to cooking with maple syrup it isn't a big thing to me. I suspect it is like my reaction to molasses. I never heard of it until I was an adult cooking. Now it is a favourite ingredient.
Exactly, Here it's all about cane sugar and cane syrup. I was in the service before I learned Log Cabin was not maple syrup. Now I buy a a 1 1/2 gals and have it shipped each year. Didn't used to be so much till I started curing, brining, and cooking here. They taught to me the reason for #2 grade.

Disco, your breakfast sausage looks delicious!     Are those collagen casing?     what size do you use for breakfast sausages?

Sounds good I think I will have to try and make some.
Just wondering I was in the store yesterday and saw maple sugar. Do you think that would be any good or would it be to sweet

Disco, your breakfast sausage looks delicious!     Are those collagen casing?     what size do you use for breakfast sausages?
Thanks! Yes they are 1/2 inch collagen casings.

Really nice looking Sausage Disco.

Larry
Thanks for the points, Larry.
Sounds good I think I will have to try and make some.
Just wondering I was in the store yesterday and saw maple sugar. Do you think that would be any good or would it be to sweet
I love maple sugar but I use it in rubs and dry cures. I haven't tried it in sausage. I would think it would be tasty and it would only be too sweet if you over did it.

Disco

I love making sausage but I had/have a hard time with the collagen casings.....never could get them to work...any hints you can give?

Pete
I had some problems the first couple of times, too. I found that if I was careful not to overfill the casings, life went a lot easier. It makes it easier to twist them off. Then, I gave up trying to tie or clip them into individual sausages. I twist them at the length I want and cut at the twist and let the ends open. If I haven't overstuffed the casings, I don't get a "bow tie" effect when I cook them.

This will likely upset the purists but it is what I do and it works fine for me.

I got to do this, just haven't had the nerve, but I think you

may have pushed me over the edge.

I thank you Sir.

Keep on smokin'                           Ed

Last edited:

I got to do this, just haven't had the nerve, but I think you

may have pushed me over the edge.

I thank you Sir.

Keep on smokin'                           Ed
Har! They have to be easy, I did them!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky