Featured Purchased a smoker for the hubby and need advice/input!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TLCW_2012

Original poster
May 15, 2020
I just purchased the MES 130s Advanced Series for my husband for fathers day... He really wanted the glass door. I always do my research before purchases like this and I was not happy with the reviews, but it's what HE wanted. I found it on sale at Cabelas for $189... Can any of you give any input on this model and any extras I should purchase for it? links for items is a plus or model #'s.

Thank you!
Tonia

TLCW, I don't own a MES but I know that most folks don't trust the temps shown by the device. I recommend a temp receiver with remote temp transmitter with 2 probes ,one for the chamber and one for your product. I own a Redi- Check Maverick 733 and am quite happy with it.

Welcome and Thank you for being a great Wife!
Two additional items that make Smoking in the MES aggravation free...A remote Thermometer and a Smoke Generator since feeding chips every 30, for 16 hours, takes the fun out.
Inkbird is a Sponsor and runs sale and givaways. You need to monitor Smoker Temp and Meat Internal Temp (IT). I have their 4 probe unit to watch smoker temp and up to 3 meats. There is a 6 probe as well.
For Smoke, another Sponsor is A-MAZE-N Products. Todd's Expanding Tube burns flavor wood pellets and makes the Thin Blue Smoke we want for many hours no messing with it. DO NOT hesitate to call Todd to discuss your needs! He and his Wife are great people and will make sure you get the best product for your smoker...Here is more info...JJ

Welcome and Thank you for being a great Wife!
Two additional items that make Smoking in the MES aggravation free...A remote Thermometer and a Smoke Generator since feeding chips every 30, for 16 hours, takes the fun out.
Inkbird is a Sponsor and runs sale and givaways. You need to monitor Smoker Temp and Meat Internal Temp (IT). I have their 4 probe unit to watch smoker temp and up to 3 meats. There is a 6 probe as well.
For Smoke, another Sponsor is A-MAZE-N Products. Todd's Expanding Tube burns flavor wood pellets and makes the Thin Blue Smoke we want for many hours no messing with it. DO NOT hesitate to call Todd to discuss your needs! He and his Wife are great people and will make sure you get the best product for your smoker...Here is more info...JJ

After reading everyones comments about the MES 130s... I am wondering if I should return it and go with a different smoker?? Do you know much about the pit boss smokers like this one below?

An MES30 is a solid choice to get started in smoking. It produces good food and holds temperatures well. Things to look out for have already been mentioned: the built-in temperature probe is inaccurate, and adding chips manually can get old. These can be overcome without a big expense, using the suggestions given. It's not a huge unit, but can handle what most folks cook.

My warning is it can be a gateway drug for getting even bigger and fancier smokers. :emoji_wink:

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Hi and welcome to SMF.

Everyone above has given you great advice on what to do to get the MES 130 to turn out some top notch Que.

Honestly, you should stick with the MES 130 instead of going for the PB 2 series since it really isn't an upgrade from the 130. Let your husband get his feet wet and go from there.

And about those online reviews, take them with a grain of salt.
I say this because, the majority of reviews on my smoker almost had me convinced that it was a certified POS.
I took the plunge anyway. I am glad I did because the smoker has turned out to be a solid performer and turns out darn good Que sans a smoke ring. Be forewarned, no electric smoker will produce a smoke ring.
Yes, my smoker is a little large for just my wife and me, but the extra room pays for itself when the kids and grandkids come out for a visit.

One thing I've read about the MES 130 is to leave the chip loader pulled out about a 1/4" or so for better air flow when using wood chips.

Oh, and about those glass doors.
They're great until about the 5th smoke when the novelty wears off and the realization sinks in that you need to keep the glass clean in order to see what's cooking inside.
That is unless you want to clean the glass after each and every smoke once the smoker has cooled down.
I am usually in a meat coma by then.

Reactions: TLCW_2012
Oh, and about those glass doors.
They're great until about the 5th smoke when the novelty wears off and the realization sinks in that you need to keep the glass clean in order to see what's cooking inside.
That is unless you want to clean the glass after each and every smoke once the smoker has cooled down.
I am usually in a meat coma by then.
Thank you soo much for the quick feed back... I will stick with the MES and let him decide about the mods.... I am purchasing him an A-maze-n Pellet too...

Thank you soo much for the quick feed back... I will stick with the MES and let him decide about the mods.... I am purchasing him an A-maze-n Pellet too...

You're very welcome.

Very good choice on purchasing the AMNPS. It is a must have especially for smoking cheese during cooler weather.

Good idea to let him decide if wants to go for mail box mods etc. When he is ready, all needs to do is come here to SMF.
One thing I cannot stress enough and as everyone said above, a separate probe set up is a must have regardless of the type of smoker.

Like already said, a Wireless Digital set of Therms is needed, because the built ins are never accurate. I use a Maverick ET-732, but there are many to choose from.
And for the little MES 130, I would go with the AMNPS "Tray" because the Tubes put out too much smoke for my MES 40, and it's quite a bit bigger than your MES 30.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky