Pulled beef for today

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigal

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 21, 2006
Western Kansas
2 Chuck roasts, 8 & 8.75#, to be pulled. Rubbed w/evoo, montreal steak magic, montreal garlic & onion melody, and traegers beef rub. Plan to take it to about 170, foil, and pull off smoker at 205 or so.

Forgot about it this morn, but its on now.

I got batteries too!

Here are the first pics, before they go on the smoker.

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z2/lonefarm/

more pics as I go, I'm due to share some pics.

Damn boy, those are some serious roasts, lookin good, keep us updated
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif

P.S about time you post some pics!!
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

Yes, those are some big hummers! Wife went to town yesterday and I asked her to pic up a couple chuck roasts. I told her they'd be about 3 or 4 #. She came home w/these. She said she couldn't remember how big I wanted them and didn't think I smoked anything less than 8#'s anyway. I said it was fine, they looked good w/a real nice color and one had good marbling. I think we'll have some leftovers.........which is good, I'm turn'n into a vacpac freak anymore.

First time I've done pulled beef, so I'll have plent of "what not to do's" to share w/everyone.

And yes pics, she got some bat'res for the camera.

Right now they hit a "wall", stuck at 147 for the last hour........or I'm getting hungry, or both.

Looks good Al. I had always wondered about doing a chuck roast. My wife too. Do you find any big difference between the normal "done times" for same size beef vs pork cuts??

I don't think so, but I'm about to find out. I'll be "feel'n" it after it hits 160 or so. May foil it then and just take to 205. Foil should help it stay moist, I hope.

May leave on w/no foil, too. Depends on what I think should happen. Also depends on how much I drink too.
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

I would go with the foil. It does help retain moisture in the meats. Beef will be interesting as to being "pulled" since most folks like beef medium rare, around 145* internal and you are going for 195 to 200* internal. But your the guinea pig, my man.
icon_mrgreen.gif
I will be waiting on the final report.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

They have been on for 9hrs and at 151*. I'd rather wait till 165-170 to foil, but may do it sooner so they don't dry out.

Whatcha think?

Also, would a 1-4 ratio of cider vinegar to AJ be alright for a "finishing sauce" w/the drippings from the meat? Wouldn't use much of the c.v/AJ, and I'll probably add some rub to the meat after it's pulled. I'm lazy and don't want to go thru the one posted on a sticky in the beef forum.

Thanks for all the help.

I've done them before, but I sliced them...........and they were much smaller. Haven't done them in a while, so it must not have been very good.

10hrs, 153*. So I put them in a pan and foiled. They were plenty moist and I didn't want to dry them out so I foiled. Bark isn't important anyway as it will be pulled. Still shoot'n for 205, keep'n the smoker at 225 holding back the urge to bump up to 250 or 275. Still want to do it low and slow.

pics of final product before and after pull'n comming later.

14hrs to get to 200*. Couldn't wait for 205. Very juicy, very tender. Only had a few nibbles but the wife and kids said it was great, they kept comming back to get more before they went to bed.

I liked it much better than pulled brisket point, not as much fat. Easy to pull, can't wait to eat.

Here's the pics http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z2/lonefarm/

Plan on heating some up in smoker adding a tad more rub. Plenty of juice to use for "finishing sauce".......and I even spilled some getting it to the house.

Dang....14 hours
eek.gif
That was low and slow alright. Looks good though and sounds like the home crew was happy with it. Looks like I got something else to try now.
Oh, and does Haley always bake cookies in her Prom dress?
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky