Prosciutto....Merseyside Style

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sniper7990

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 13, 2015
Right, on the success of my Leg of Lamb Prosciutto, I have decided to plough ahead and go for a whole hog leg.

So it was off to the meat market (butchers....not the local night club!!!) and I managed to get a whole leg of pork for £28. When trimmed, it still weighed 8kg.

So, anyway, I have made a couple of videos and posted them on my Youtube page 'Rusty's Rustic Pantry'.

The links are here:

(trimming the leg)

and

(applying the cure)

I made a bit of a school boy error so since making the videos, I have added some sugar to the cure, along with some black pepper and garlic powder.

Ill post videos and bits n pieces as I go along, but there wont be too much to report for 15-18 months!!!!

Sign me up, I figure to be around for at least another year...  
biggrin.gif

It's gonna be a long wait folks but you're more than welcome to tag along for the ride

Not much more to report on with the Prosciutto project, but after a couple of weeks in the refrdigerator its time to cover the exposed flesh with lard to prevent it from drying out too quickly. Now its time for its long sleep!!
Im going to place this back in the refridgerator until the new year to give me time to build a new and bigger meat safe for it.

Will do....and if any of you spot any school boy errors please let me know. Now I know that the initial curing stage seems to have worked, I'll go back to the videos and post the original recipe on here

I am looking to try a Boneless Prosciutto some day. Nice start!...JJ

Cheers JJ....I was toying with the idea of boneless, but as I wanted to time it for Christmas 2016, I sort of wanted to have that classic 'Parma' ham shape and put it in a stand in the middle of the table. I may try a wet cured ham on the bone for this Christmas though. the next stage for video/photo will be building the new meat safe for hanging the prosciutto outside...but what with Christmas coming up, its an expense I cant afford, so it will have to wait until January. it shouldn't come to any harm now its been larded up

Im looking at maybe next Christmas, perhaps a bit sooner. The climate here isn't perfect, so its going to be a bit of 'suck it an see', experimentation

OK, so update time. First of all  few pics of the meat safe I had to build (as I went along). The last one, which I built for the Lamb Prosciutto was way too small, and I learn from my mistakes....this one I built a door on the front rather than have the bottom removable as on the previous one. Makes life a lot easier.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky