Propane tank build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks Dave I was just running all those numbers using that site to get all my messurements and was thinking it needed to be 21 inches after realizing the 7 inches would be right at the 20inch wide mark..  Thank you for all your help!

I was wondering if I just did a half moon would this still work without having to cut another RF plate....  I have the metal to cut another but would rather not waste this piece.  What are your thoughts?

How can you fit up a round FB using a half moon ???? and keep the 80 sq. in. opening....

The smoker CC is out of round or you measured incorrectly....

Last edited:
How can you fit up a round FB using a half moon ???? and keep the 80 sq. in. opening....
I don't know...  LOL Im just trying to figure out what happened.  I redid all my measurements and what you came up with should be right but it's not looking like its right.  Im just trying to figure where I went wrong.....

That is an option or I could recut it. But I need a min of 7 inches from bottom of cook chamber to top of RF plate correct? And 4 3/4 on the return side is ok? Or does that need to be bigger. I have enough angle iron to make it work. That's a good idea to fix it.

So I decided to recut the RF plate instead of using angle iron. I'll find a use for it I'm sure. When I cut it bigger to get my 7 inches its actuall now at 8 inches. Do I need to cut it down or is 8 inches under the RF plate ok. I know I'm asking a lot of questions. I'm just new to this and trying to do it right the first time.

I will say since I'm not running the welder on a chord it has made a tremendous difference. Never would have thought you would loose that much power from a chord. Thanks again for all the help you guys have given me.

I will say since I'm not running the welder on a chord it has made a tremendous difference. Never would have thought you would loose that much power from a chord. Thanks again for all the help you guys have given me.
Learning is good, very good..... 

Just an observation......   grind off the rust where you are welding AND where you place the ground clamp....  Rust does not melt well and does not conduct electricity well...

Yeah theres no excuse....  lol  My grinding wheel was shot from grinding the round end pieces I cut and didn't have time to go to the store......

When it comes to low amp welders a clean welding surface is very important. this step cannot be skipped even with a 400a machine you must grind the surface before welding

with mig welders i recommend a 1 in wide clean area when I weld on new steel, increase this distance with dirty or rusty metal 

due to the heat of welding it will ''pull'' any contamination to your weld

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky