Preparing for a smoking Snday

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

teeotee

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
North Central Iowa
Hey people, getting ready for a Sunday on the smoker. Planning a 2 lb fatty (my first), a chuck roast and some smoked scotch eggs.

After joing smf on Monday i have been inspired to fire up the smoker again. I have just completed some mods on the char griller today after finding themon smf. So of course i'm keen to try them out.

I'm sure i'm going to get some questions about the eggs (explanation below) and i'm planning to do some q vew. Problem is the wife has taken the kids to a Brad Paisley concert and taken the camera with. So no prep photos but will get some pics tomorrow during and after smoking.

The scotch eggs are an english thing for those of you who are wondering. They do take a bit of prep but i think are well worth it. You hardboil the eggs, peel once cooled off then wrap in sausage meat to make a ball. Normally once you have the eggs wrapped you cover them in breadcumbs then deep fry. I had this idea that instead of doing the breadcumb thing i'm going to coat with yellow mustard and roll in a rub. Gotta be worth a try right ????

Anyway gotta run to the store, just found out we're out of garlic powder and onion powder
PDT_Armataz_01_13.gif

yup good luck with the smoke Teetoe,I doing a turkey tomarrow-thinking on trying the eggs-don't delete her brad pics for yours(just a hint)

Ok back from store. That's an 18 mile round trip. Only disadvantage of being in the country.

The eggs are usually eaten cold, good thing to keep in the fridge for snacks. If they last that long that is. They are good still warm too. Like i said, never had any smoked just deep fried.

And like i'd ever delete her Brad pics.
PDT_Armataz_01_04.gif

The Scotch eggs sounds interesting, I might have to give that a try! Welcome to the SMF!!

Think it was desert and goose thinking about trying the eggs. As a guideline i use 2 lbs of pork sausage to 8 large eggs. I have attached some pics taken with my phone so they are not the best.

Right now i have 8 eggs done and in the fridge. The chuck is also in the fridge having been tenderized and is now laying in a bourbon marinade.

The fatty can wait till morning. My two labradors have been salivating watching me do all this prep so now i have to mop up the kitchen floor and give the them some treats for being good dogs and not stealing any bites.

As for me i'm heading to the couch with an adult beverage or 2 or 4
icon_razz.gif

c675a836_vbattach17013.jpg

766fb182_vbattach17012.jpg

27f9ef13_vbattach17011.jpg

Welcome teeotee, thats what i love new people with ideas i never even thought of. Learnin more and more everyday.
Pull up a chair, sit back, relax and enjoy

Lawdog

The eggs turned out really good, have snacked on two already.

The chuck had hit the plateau. Been at 140 for the last 1 1/2 hours. The smoker is holding a steady 220 - 230. Down to half a bag of lump charcoal left then have a small bag of kingsford in reserve.

The fatty went on two hours ago and is looking good.
f0db641a_vbattach17021.jpg

d66ffb5b_vbattach17020.jpg

I had mine in for 1 hour 15 min at prob an average temp of 230. I did check them with a therm in a thicker part of the meat. Had them up to 170.
Personally i like to eat them once they have cooled off. Does make them easier to cut in half. If serving as an appetizer i'll cut each into 4 or 6 pieces depending on the size.

Like i said in the early part of this post. I'd only ever deep fried them before. After smoking some today i don't think i'll go back to frying them.

What Rich said...I did one in a fatty last spring. Roll out the chub and lay the hard boiled eggs end to end (slice a bit of the pointed end off the egg so they fit together nicer) and roll the fatty. I think I sprinkled some cheddar in there and added a few shots of tobasco. Very tasty, and probably a bit easier than doing each egg individually.

Just trying to help a man!!!

Hey smokin joe, i like you're thinking .......eggs, sausage, cheese, tabasco yummmmm
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
. Now that could be my next project. And yeah would be easier than doing each one individually.

Done my first fatty today, italian sausage with pepper jack, onion, garlic and green peppers. Turned out good.

Thanks for the idea. Will be trying the scotch eggs. Will probably try them fried and smoked. I have a turkey frier I use a lot between Thanksgiving and Superbowl so might as well throw some in. Good job.

Bert, they only need frying for around 5 minutes. I haven't tried a turkey yet but have done some hot wings and of course the eggs on a few occasions.

Desert, the smoke turned out pretty good. Eaten two eggs already this morning sitting at my desk. Brought in some slices of fatty for lunch. Then have a sliced chuck sitting in the fridge ready for maybe some french dips tonight.

All in all a productive Sunday. Was an experimental day after making mods to the char griller. Took a little while to get used to but it certainly holds heat a lot better and cooks more evenly.

Best get back to doing some work
icon_sad.gif

Happy Monday guys !!!

Just wanted to bump this up, The mustard and rub idea sounds great. I'm planning a Scotch fattie and some Scotch eggs just cuz this weekend.

I can usually get 5 eggs wrapped with a 1lb chub of sausage, and I usually make 10. I mix 1lb. chub of hot breakfast sausage with 1lb of GOOD ground turkey, a little extra pepper, garlic and sage too. The meat doesn't shrink and crack with the lean of the turkey mixed in.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky