powdercoating or grill paint

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Powder coat will last longer.

Just as long as its applied properly, and you never want to do any modifications or repairs to your smoker after its built.

Paint can always be touched up right where she stands with a spray can.

if i remember right i used heat to remove a power coated metal once before....heated it up and it flaked right off with a wire brush very nice....i'm looking at heat paint and the higher the rated temp the better.......bob

I like how powder coat looks....... but will be using high heat paint for mine....

However some valid points have been made....

Price point paint is less expensive
Looks powder coat nice and shiny. However after the heat of smoke hits the powder coating it gets dull and stained.
I have only seen powder coating on insulated smokers. I have herd that the heat of the fire box or cook chamber will cause the powder coating to get brittle and chip easier.
Paint easier to repair and maintain

Just my humble opinion......

I like how powder coat looks....... but will be using high heat paint for mine....
However some valid points have been made....
Price point paint is less expensive
Looks powder coat nice and shiny. However after the heat of smoke hits the powder coating it gets dull and stained.
I have only seen powder coating on insulated smokers. I have herd that the heat of the fire box or cook chamber will cause the powder coating to get brittle and chip easier.
Paint easier to repair and maintain
Just my humble opinion......
2X's on what Jarjarchef
I've had a lot of items powder coated over the years.....From my experience, it will not hold up well to high temperatures......If it is not applied properly to a clean surface it will crack off and your sub-base material will rust......I would go with the high temperature paint ........ShoneyBoy

Don't know exactly what you're trying to finish but powder coating is cured at around 400 degrees F (200 degrees C), this is the temp the powder particles melt and flow out to a smooth surface finish.  I would think if what you're finishing see temps higher than 400F, you might have trouble.

Good luck,

Curt.

got a friend that has a coating shot and he said that we could do some trading out on work. he does powdercoating and coatings for guns, he said that he could use the same stuff he uses for the guns and headers on motorcycles and car engines. i do plan on insulating the fire box but not the tank, if the tank gets hotter than 400 deg. tyhen im grillen and not smoken anymore,lol

Best advice I could give you would be to build the smoker and throw a coat of paint on it until you use it and get all the details worked out so that there are no more modifications and everything is just about as perfect as you can get it. Then have it sandblasted to white steel before powder coating, and get it coated before any surface rust starts.  If your friend knows what he is doing, you should have no problems other than some spider cracks here and there from the expanding of the metal.

It depends on the coating type.  Ceramic coating is used on nearly every mass produced grill and smoker.  All of the Weber products are ceramic coated.  It can be expensive but it can be applied from a can at home.  There are many different types so do a little research and you can tell us what you learn.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky