Potato soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Since there has been a bit of talk in regards to potato soup I got the urge for some for dinner tonight.
I conjured this up quite a long time ago after. Believe it or not. Campbell's beans and franks soup from when I was growing up.
This time I only made 2 changes.

PC180242.jpg

The fixings:
1 pound thick cut bacon.
1.5 pounds baby taters
1 pound dried northern beans
pack lil smokies
1 good sized sweet onion
Chicken stock.
Ignore the jar of garlic. It was not used. Just bought because we were out!

PC180245.JPG

Everything cut up. First change was I used in the past canned beans. This time I bought dried. And put them in the instant pot with 8 cups of water with 1 Tbs olive oil and 1 tsp salt. High pressure for 45 minutes. Rapid pressure release. Then drained and set aside.

PC180248.jpg

Second change was I used my new Lodge Dutch oven.
Put in 3 Tbs butter. melted. And added the onion. Cooked until soft.
Then added 8 cups chicken stock and a tsp of pepper and 1/2 tsp celery salt. I would have preferred some sliced celery. But the one who must be obeyed doesn't like
them.
And added the cut up potatoes. Cooked until tender. About 25 minutes.
Then gave them a mix with the new Kitchen Aide immersion blender. First time using it. And it worked great.
The goal is to break up the taters into a mix of different sized pieces for texture and to thicken the soup a bit.

PC180250.jpg

Then add the lil smokies and half the crumbled bacon. Simmer for about 30 minutes.

PC180251.jpg

Ah, looks and tastes great. Every time I make this. I remember my mom serving bean and frank soup from the can after a cold afternoon playing in the snow.

Looks good Steve, thanks for the recipe! Soup takes me back to when I was a kid, it was always Mrs. Grass Chicken soup and I’d beg to drop the golden egg into the pot.

I like the addition of the lil smokies to this soup, warms me up just looking at it.

Like!

Looks good Steve, thanks for the recipe! Soup takes me back to when I was a kid, it was always Mrs. Grass Chicken soup and I’d beg to drop the golden egg into the pot.

I like the addition of the lil smokies to this soup, warms me up just looking at it.

Like!

Thank you. I tried regular mini hot dogs. But I didn't care for that.

I like all the ingredients in this, so as cold as it is here I could eat a bowl of that.I need garlic bread with mine please
Richie

Reactions: Steve H
Since there has been a bit of talk in regards to potato soup I got the urge for some for dinner tonight.
I conjured this up quite a long time ago after. Believe it or not. Campbell's beans and franks soup from when I was growing up.
This time I only made 2 changes.

View attachment 424391

The fixings:
1 pound thick cut bacon.
1.5 pounds baby taters
1 pound dried northern beans
pack lil smokies
1 good sized sweet onion
Chicken stock.
Ignore the jar of garlic. It was not used. Just bought because we were out!

View attachment 424392

Everything cut up. First change was I used in the past canned beans. This time I bought dried. And put them in the instant pot with 8 cups of water with 1 Tbs olive oil and 1 tsp salt. High pressure for 45 minutes. Rapid pressure release. Then drained and set aside.

View attachment 424393

Second change was I used my new Lodge Dutch oven.
Put in 3 Tbs butter. melted. And added the onion. Cooked until soft.
Then added 8 cups chicken stock and a tsp of pepper and 1/2 tsp celery salt. I would have preferred some sliced celery. But the one who must be obeyed doesn't like
them.
And added the cut up potatoes. Cooked until tender. About 25 minutes.
Then gave them a mix with the new Kitchen Aide immersion blender. First time using it. And it worked great.
The goal is to break up the taters into a mix of different sized pieces for texture and to thicken the soup a bit.

View attachment 424394

Then add the lil smokies and half the crumbled bacon. Simmer for about 30 minutes.

View attachment 424395

Ah, looks and tastes great. Every time I make this. I remember my mom serving bean and frank soup from the can after a cold afternoon playing in the snow.
Looks hearty for sure. I too, remember bean and weenie soup. Good stuff.

Reactions: Steve H
Oh yeah! Just had a couple of bowls with some crusty bread. I'm full!

PC180253.jpg

Looks fantastic!
We make white bean soup all the time with leftover ham scraps, but never thought to use lil smokey's in it. Next time I will definitely throw a few in there!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky