Post A Picture of Your COMPLETED Mini-WSM Here ! (Mini Weber Smokey Mountain, MWSM)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Here is a pic of my fireball in action. I've used it for brisket, chuckies for burnt ends, fatties, meatballs, and in the hopper today is a small pork butt. The flavor definitely beats my MES, but I do typically go back to the MES or the oven after wrapping a big piece of meat rather than adding more coals or chunks. I'm very happy I decided to build one!
Nice color! 

points.gif

Thanks! I do have a charcoal basket and use the Minion method, but I tend to only get 4 to 4 1/2 hours at 250. Most of those runs were in the winter and we tend to get quite a bit of wind, so I'm anxious to see how it does in warmer calmer weather. It would be awful to have to smoke more meat in the name of science! I will try your thought on a half lit chimney. I added a half a chimney of unlit once and wasn't happy with how much white billowing smoke I got.

First off they look great guys and stepsister, where did you come up with the idea? I would love to build one. was wondering if anyone had a qview on the build of one. i probably not looking hard enough but this things look awesome and look easy to take camping!

First off they look great guys and stepsister, where did you come up with the idea? I would love to build one. was wondering if anyone had a qview on the build of one. i probably not looking hard enough but this things look awesome and look easy to take camping!
I built mine in April 2012 using the steps from a thread on the Virtual Weber Bullet site. It's cheap, easy and worth 10x what you'll pay for the materials!

I built mine and used the basket idea out of the TVWB page but at the time i built mine i watched a video from man cave meals and john didn't mess with the   terracotta pot lots of people used.

I'm glad i made mine simple with just the steamer in the pot, it get's hotter, better flavors because the drippings still flash on the coals.   My advice to the mini is  go simple. 

I built mine and used the basket idea out of the TVWB page but at the time i built mine i watched a video from man cave meals and john didn't mess with the   terracotta pot lots of people used.

I'm glad i made mine simple with just the steamer in the pot, it get's hotter, better flavors because the drippings still flash on the coals.   My advice to the mini is  go simple. 
I couldn't agree more. After the terra cotta saucer cracked, I stopped using it and the results improved.

I couldn't agree more. After the terra cotta saucer cracked, I stopped using it and the results improved.
I use disposable aluminum pie plates.  Easy clean up and versatile.
  • Want to "hot smoke" for chcken wings ? Just use the pie plate by itself.  
  • Need a heat diffuser for low and slow? Fill the pie plate with water or sand.  
  • When you are done just toss it and replace with a new one. 
b

Been lurking on this forum since my return after a long hiatus and got bit by the mini bug.  Since I have a 22.5 WSM, it seemed natural.  

The build is complete.  I won't post pictures of the build because there's plenty here already and I copied most of what was done.  I don't believe in reinventing the wheel.  If you've seen the thread I posted about 3 years ago about modifications I made to my WSM, you'll know that I believe in modification to the ninth degree.  First off, couldn't find the appropriate steamer/cooker so I went big time with:

Since I live on a major fishing port with access to the Puget Sound and all points north (Alaska), finding a Crab Cooker was no problem.  I found this beauty and toyed with the recommended 34 qt but went for the 44 qt.  Stainless Steel, of course.

You'll have to pardon the blue tint.  Camera was doing funny things.  Anyway, this is the finished product.  You'll notice a few mods already.  Like:

I have the snaps taped up so you can see the lower catch.  Not exactly square, but, then I'm not building a piano and it works just fine.  Why snaps?  Simple, there's snaps on it's big brother and I like the unit being in one piece.  Went with two ball valves:  One for the Mail Box smoker and one for the Digi Q, that I already have and may as well use it.

In this photo, I changed the plumbing to the Mini with a Uni.  Makes it much easier to disconnect and I just leave half the uni on the Mini with the ball valve closed.  

And here we are connected.  Ran this setup for over 5 hours with a AMNPS tray in the mailbox, just to make sure it all worked.  Of course, it did.  Neat setup that will find use with the big brother.  A few years ago, when we were testing the various AMNP trays for Todd, we ran into a road block with using it in the WSM.  This trick answers that problem.

Since this cooker has an overall height of 17 inches, there was plenty of room to adjust the measurements and add a grate level.  Consequently, there's a "middle" grate added, when needed.

The instrumentation ports are brass, of course.  All nuts and bolts hardware are Stainless Steel.

Oh, and I used four bolts per level, just because I had them to do with.

Mailbox smoker, of course.  Added the handle on top for ease of movement.  Bungee cord keeps the door closed.  I get plenty of air flow through the 8 holes in the bottom of the box.

For the price of a few steaks, conned the brother-in-law to weld up the charcoal basket.  The vent can contents ended up in a fattie I cooked this evening.  Everything gets used or saved around this house.  

Next mod will be looking at the support legs.  I'm not really pleased with them and may modify them.  Got this old Crab Pot cooker/burner plate (propane) that no longer works for that purpose.  I may make that work.  

Well, that's about it.  I'll post the first real smoke in a few days.

~Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky