Portuguese Sweet Bread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
icon14.gif

I was thinking to try shaping it into small rolls on a cookie sheet.  The loaf shape sounds good too.

Mine came out good enough to try the recipe again and I appreciate it.

I tried this bread for Thanksgiving and it turned out great. I wanted to do some more this weekend. The thing is, this was the first time making bread and for some reason my dough will not double in size in an hour like the recipe says. Last time I let it sit overnight to get it to rise. Any ideas as to what I could be doing wrong? I followed the recipe to a T.

Smoke it up.
William

I tried this bread for Thanksgiving and it turned out great. I wanted to do some more this weekend. The thing is, this was the first time making bread and for some reason my dough will not double in size in an hour like the recipe says. Last time I let it sit overnight to get it to rise. Any ideas as to what I could be doing wrong? I followed the recipe to a T.

Smoke it up.
William
I am relatively new to bread baking but have come to realize that the dough / yeast is very temperature sensitive.  I sometimes crack open the oven door, set the oven control to warm, set your dough in a pan on the stove top and drape a towel over the pan and the top of the slightly open oven door.  (Get that dough warmed a little).  If you followed the recipe it should work fine.  I have found it to be pretty forgiving.

Best luck.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky