Portuguese Sweet Bread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
On the Big island of Hawaii they make these rolls in a giant lava rock oven. I made mine in the house oven as I don't have an outdoor bread oven yet! I wanted to make these for thanksgiving, but figured I better do a test run. So I made a half batch.

These will go with the chorizo potato soup I'm making right now. Blowing crazy mad here and raining sideways!!!

Portuguese Sweet Bread
(Pao Doce - recipe makes 4 loaves)
Mix together in a big bowl:
2 cups Warm Water
4 pkg. Dry Yeast
Then stir in:
2 cups Sugar
2 sticks Melted Butter
4 Eggs
Stir in- one cup at a time:
8 cups Bread Flour
Stir in up to 2 more cups of flour as needed to make a soft dough. When the dough is too difficult to stir, turn dough out on a floured table and knead in the rest of the flour for about 3-5 minutes. Add more flour if needed to keep the dough from sticking to the table. Put the dough back in the bowl and cover it until it has doubled in size (about 1 hour). Punch the dough down and form into 4 equal sized loaves. Pinch off 7 equal pieces of dough from each loaf, roll and place in greased 9-inch round aluminum pans. Let the dough rise again until doubled in size (about 1 hour) and brush with egg wash (1 egg mixed with 2 Tbsp. water). Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 20-30 minutes.

They look great,your a natural
biggrin.gif

Next frontier those little egg custard tarts with the flaky pastry.

I may be in trouble, the wife loved these rolls. I may become the baker I don't want to be!

I see malasadas in your future! You can also use the same recipe and put it into a bread pan to make portuguese sweet bread French toast or after the first punch down roll in some cinnamon and sugar...

POINTS!!!

Last edited:
I see malasadas in your future! You can also use the same recipe and put it into a bread pan to make portugeuse sweet bread French toast or after the first punch down roll in some cinnamon and sugar...

POINTS!!!

French bread, oh goodness! Better go make another batch!! I just looked at a cast iron brad pan the other day...

They look great,your a natural:biggrin: .
Next frontier those little egg custard tarts with the flaky pastry.

Thanks Mick! Not sure I'll
Progress past rolls and bread. I do like bread making or the final results that is!

Not French bread! French toast!!!

Ha yes my brain was thinking French roast, but typed French bread, lol! I bet I could slice the rolls and make French toast!!! We've only dug into one so far. Hmmm, I think I know what's for breakfast! Wish I had a can of spam in the house, it's all in my camper which is in storage!

LOL.... being an old country boy when ya said sweet breads I was thinking something completely different!

You know that looks alot like  Brioche dough. AND it is rich and sweet....... Its what I usually make king cakes for mardi gras with.

Those are some awefully fancy meat pies!

<whispers> I would be salivating had I not just ate a whole hot french bread loaf watching the LSU game. ZOMG.

That looks really great Case, and brownie points with SHCTYWYCDYPs too! You d'man! 
77.gif

Last edited:
LOL.... being an old country boy when ya said sweet breads I was thinking something completely different!

You know that looks alot like  Brioche dough. AND it is rich and sweet....... Its what I usually make king cakes for mardi gras with.

Those are some awefully fancy meat pies!

I would be salivating had I not just ate a whole hot french bread loaf watching the LSU game. ZOMG.

That looks really great Case, and brownie points with SHCTYWYCDYPs too! You d'man!  :77:

Thanks Kevin!

Ha yep none of those sweet breads here, lol!

We cleared on pan full, if there's any left by morning I think French toast will be made with the other pan!

Brioche is much heavier than the Portuguese sweet bread. I use to work at a restaurant that had pate de foie gras en brioche on the menu! That was unreal good...

I also should menton that they made the best hamburger buns!!! They are so good you can use them with any sandwich. I should know I live in the Sandwich Islands!!! :biggrin:

Im portuguese i eat sweet bread all the time . Your turn out amaizng lol all you need is butter and cheese

Well not any kinda of cheese portuguese cheese its very good . Mornings breakfest with tea or coffee.

Great lookin bread Case, now the wife knows ya can bake..... :68: Your in for it now, :biggrin:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky