Pork Shoulder Help Needed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mike, morning... Thats a beautiful ham.... Wow... The things a guy can learn here are amazing.... Another thing on my list to do.... Dave

Mike and Pops, GREAT TEAMWORK, and it shows in the results!  Terribly impressive.

Thanx Frosty. Everything Pops told in his post was right on.

Mike, morning... Thats a beautiful ham.... Wow... The things a guy can learn here are amazing.... Another thing on my list to do.... Dave

Thanx Dave. I can't believe everything I have learned from all of you. I just wish sometime or another

I could input something I know. (which is not much... lol) All of you all on here are very good at what you do.

Thanx all for everything. I'm still learning

That is one fantastic looking ham!

Awesome job!

Thanx Al, I also saw your post on the Smithfield ham. I want to try that one too, it looks great.

Last edited:
Great job Mike! Make a Ham Sammy for me.... drooool.....
drool.gif
 Smokin - K

great job Mike!!!

Now you will keep learning and be able to help those that come behind you . That's what SMF is all about.

great job Mike!!!

Now you will keep learning and be able to help those that come behind you . That's what SMF is all about.
Thanx eman

I am all for learning, shoot before I found this forum I couldn't even cook a rib or a butt.

now look, got me curing meats and all that good stuff.

I think I am going to try Bearcarvers snack stix next.

Thanx again

Mike

Thats awesome! You give me hope and inspiration. I'd love to try curing a ham but getting the injections right seems so intimidating that I've never tried doing one. All the articles I've seen about bone sour keep me from jumping in there without having any butcher experience. Congrats on a wonderful job! Maybe I'll give this a try now.

Thats awesome! You give me hope and inspiration. I'd love to try curing a ham but getting the injections right seems so intimidating that I've never tried doing one. All the articles I've seen about bone sour keep me from jumping in there without having any butcher experience. Congrats on a wonderful job! Maybe I'll give this a try now.

Certainly understand your hesitation!  But, again, a lot has to do with having the right equipment to minimize problems... one "investment" that is a great purchase and that can last a lifetime is a good quality brining needle; I recommend the Morton[emoji]174[/emoji] Brine Pump:

797caf0d_morton_meatpump_LRG.jpg

http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_45_231&products_id=25

This differs from other injection needles in the respect that it has a perforated multi-hole needle that shoots in all four directions out of multiple holes, instead of just straight out, enabling you to better "broadcast pump" your brine into all areas of muscle and minimize the chance of missing an area, leaving it uncured and it spoiling before soaking brine can get to it and cure it (normally near a bone structure, that's why it's nicknamed "sour-bone").  It also comes with a straight needle for artery pumping, where you locate an artery and inject it in the artery, carrying the cure throughout the entire piece of meat and allowing it to seep into the pores of the meat, vs. inundating it.   It is more money than a straight injection needle but performs at a much higher level of pickling perfection!

With the right tools it just simplifies things!

Last edited:
Certainly understand your hesitation!  But, again, a lot has to do with having the right equipment to minimize problems... one "investment" that is a great purchase and that can last a lifetime is a good quality brining needle; I recommend the Morton[emoji]174[/emoji] Brine Pump:

797caf0d_morton_meatpump_LRG.jpg

http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_45_231&products_id=25

This differs from other injection needles in the respect that it has a perforated multi-hole needle that shoots in all four directions out of multiple holes, instead of just straight out, enabling you to better "broadcast pump" your brine into all areas of muscle and minimize the chance of missing an area, leaving it uncured and it spoiling before soaking brine can get to it and cure it (normally near a bone structure, that's why it's nicknamed "sour-bone").  It also comes with a straight needle for artery pumping, where you locate an artery and inject it in the artery, carrying the cure throughout the entire piece of meat and allowing it to seep into the pores of the meat, vs. inundating it.   It is more money than a straight injection needle but performs at a much higher level of pickling perfection!

With the right tools it just simplifies things!
I'm going to order one as well Pops. Is it pretty much fool proof once I have this needle? I wouldn't even know how to find an artery. I really want to cure my own ham but I don't want to ruin it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky