Pork Butts and lots of it! Ideas?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thoseguys26

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
Aspen Valley
I have a friend who gets restaurant prices on meat and all so I decided to buy a box of pork butts for sausage. The box is 80lbs of butts!!  I deboned them all and now I'm at the crossroads of deciding what to do.

My initial thought and plan was to make:

Italian Sausage

Breakfast Sausage

Bologna

Smoked Spicy Snack Sticks

I've looked through many many pages here to find recipes but only so many have recipes and it takes forever to go through them all.

I was wondering if anyone had a link to a recipe for all of the above or another sausage recipe I must try.

It's times like this I wish I had an industrial grinder!

5d285cef_Picture23.png

Thanks in advance.

Careful those flies don't get on your pork!  LOL

On a serious note, just some ideas as to types of sausage to add to your list:  Kielbasa (smoked), andouille (smoked) - the Nola recipe is the bomb!, bratwurst (fresh).....

And like Venture said, with all that pork you should try a little buckboard bacon.  I'd add to that list, Canadian bacon or even Tasso....  with that much pork, the possibilities are almost endless!

Keep on smokin'  (and grinding!  LOL)

-Salt

Thanks for the links. I got an old family recipe for dry sausage that I'm going to do about 20 lbs of and the rest will probably be different fresh flavors and one smoked.

I was supposed to split the box with someone but they bailed on me at the last second so I ended up with 80lbs. I brought it one of my old italian friends who has a grinder the size of a v8 engine and he ground it all in 7 minutes! That just saved me a lot of time.

2 five gallon buckets - my girlfriend is starting to become concerned with my new hobby..

d06f38a7_Picture28.png

Last edited:
I hope for safety purposes, your Old Family Recipe...Includes the proper Cure and not just Salt...Dry Cured Sausage without sodium nitrate, Cure #2 is dangerous...JJ

X2 on JJ!

Dry cured with old recipes can be tricky if not dangerous.  Think Cure #2 or Mortons Tenderquick.

Good luck and good smoking.

Heck, some say ALL un-cooked dry cured sausage is potentially dangerous because of e coli O157:H7.
It can NOT be reliably managed by home sausage makers without cooking....YUCK!!!!....but...anyway.....

What do I know?

"The bacterium E. coli O157:H7 can survive the process of dry fermenting, and in 1994, some children became ill after eating dry cured salami containing the bacteria.

After the outbreak, FSIS developed specific processing rules for making dry sausages that must be followed or the product must be heat treated. These products are included in the FSIS microbial sampling program for E. coli O157:H7, and in 1997, FSIS began to test fermented sausages for Salmonella and Listeria monocytogenes. "

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Factsheets/Sausage_and_Food_Safety/index.asp#11

Heat treating ruins it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On top of that, most don't take measures to control Listeria!!!

I once saw a cow die from Listeriosis, it was a VERY bad thing to witness!!!

Blah! Blah! Blah!

I make the stuff anyway!!!!

Life is a crapshoot!

:sausage:

This recipe is from my friend who makes 700lb batches. He doesn't use any cure, just salt and controlled temps for fresh and dried. I've had both and they are the best I've had.  Because I am going to be giving some away, I'll be using salt and sodium nitrate because I would rather play it safe.

Careful those flies don't get on your pork!  LOL

On a serious note, just some ideas as to types of sausage to add to your list:  Kielbasa (smoked), andouille (smoked) - the Nola recipe is the bomb!, bratwurst (fresh).....

And like Venture said, with all that pork you should try a little buckboard bacon.  I'd add to that list, Canadian bacon or even Tasso....  with that much pork, the possibilities are almost endless!

Keep on smokin'  (and grinding!  LOL)

-Salt
Thanks for the ideas. I ended up making 20lb Italian, 20lbs hot Italian, 32lbs Jalepeno Cheddar, 10 lbs Snack Sticks

I'll start a new post with some pics

2af7250a__3.jpg

icon_cool.gif

Now your last picture of the sausage looks awesome and I bet it will be quite tasty to. 

Last edited:
I also make all my own sausage and like to mix up my own blends but time to time I order packaged seasonings and 2 companys I use that have very good sausage seasoning blends are www.sausagemaker.com and www.conyeagerspice.com   90% of the butchers I know use the ConYeager seasonings around here and shipping is free over $35. There Cajun is my favorite.

Hey thoseguys26, just so you understand my comment about the 'flies' getting in your pork... I was referring to the trout/bass flies on the cork board in your first photo.  I'm a die hard fly fisherman and they caught my eye.

Your sausage looks killer!

-Salt

When I first read it my brain did a double take and then I laughed out loud when I realized you saw my flies on the wall. I thought it was pretty funny. That's my wounded soldier wall.. those guys might not make it to another battle.. But they went out with honors!

I'm putting some jalapeno cheddars and my snack sticks in the smoker today and then I'll take some final pics.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky