Pork Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

krj

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009

p8gYTEF.jpg

7Y0X1jo.jpg

pPLLp9w.jpg

I got a custom order placed for meat to feed 60. Easy enough, and a small enough cook I can use the WSM rather than the gravity fed monster.

Rubbed and plastic wrapped the 50lbs of butt last night. I don't necessarily think the overnight impacts the flavor. For me it's more of a timesaver. Got up and lit coals at 5AM and had meat on right at 6. Was having temp problems most of the day, not sure my ambient probe isn't bad. Wrapped in butcher's paper around noon, had 3 of the butts at 180ish and the other at 165+ so when I wrapped I swapped racks in the hope's to even the temps. Thankfully I was successful and they all hog over 200° at about the same time. Pulled them off and let them rest uncovered for 45-60 minutes before I got to work pulling them by hand.

I finally remembered to get some knit cotton gloves to wear under my blue nitrile gloves. Boy, that worked great! I generally always pull by hand so I do a better job of getting rid of fat and any nastiness. Before I'd have ti take breaks all the time because of the heat, and by the end it would feel like my hands were sunburnt. Not even an issue with the cotton gloves.

Starter with I think 50lbs raw, and by the time I had everything pulled, weighed, bagged, and in the freezer I think there was 22.5 lbs. So a little more than a 50% loss, which is what I always figure when i do my math. I always recommend and personally serve 1/3lb servings to customers because that's a pretty healthy looking sandwich. Plus you'll have those that eat like 3oz, and those that eat 8-9oz. It all evens out in the end.

Excellent looking PP. Nicely Done. I'm sure there are 60 happily fed people out there - thanks to you.

Point for sure
Chris

NICE/LIKE. Agree that an overnight rub has little impact (especially compared to injecting) and also on your portions. I inject for flavors sake but was happy to also get a large bump in yield.

Nice job, how do you reheat or recommend your clients to heat it?

Well I vac pack everything, so I tell folks to either A) Drop the unopened bag into a pot of simmering water until it's warm or B) Empty the contents into a crockpot/turkey roaster, add some chicken stock and slowly bring it up to serving temp.

I usually do the second for vendor events.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky