Pork Butt Success! THANK YOU

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks good so far. You can sit in the cooler for at least 2-3 hours. It will be still hot!

Pork butts and briskets are done when their done! This one only took 10 hours and the next one will take 14! They're all different. Good luck! Looks great!

Cheers!

A BIG THANK YOU! to you guys.  The food last night was a great success, and it was all a result of this site, and the helpful advice I received from you guys yesterday.  This party was a big deal for my wife and I as we were welcoming back some great friends that have been away for years.  It was really important to me that the food was as good as the company, and it was!

I'm very glad to have found this site; great recipes, expert advice, and good people!

Q-view (sorry, i was doing most of the cooking myself and was a little distracted, so i didn't get all the finished shots I wanted.)

Rainbows should have shot out of this cooler every time it was opened! . . . the dog agrees!

Dutch's "Wicked Baked Beans, best beans I have ever had . . . there were none left!

uh . . . duh!

Bubbonehead's Spicy Mac and Cheese . . . need I say more?

and then there were butts!

Step 1 -  the unwrap 

Step 2 - the first pull

Step 3 - THE BONE

Oh shoot, sorry Kieth in my pork butt hangover I completely forgot to mention that. So here's the verdict. I LOVED the bark on the non foiled butt, however the foiled version was so much more tender and moist. The non foiled piece was a little tough to pull, and there was an entire section that was totally dry? Was there something I might have done wrong with it?

Non foiled: spritz'd every hour, let it reach 200* then wrapped I foil and placed in cooler for 3 hours maybe a little less.

Foiled: same as above, but once it hit 165, wrapped in foil for the duration of cooking, then put in cooler for 4 hours (this one finished a bit earlier than the small one, so it sat longer)

At any rate, both were good, perhaps I just need to smoke about a 1000 more to perfect the non foiled version? What do you think?

Thanks again for the comments and help.

Every butt has it's own temperament, i am discovering. I think fat content, connective tissue content etc. all play a role in retained moisture. I have only been at this smoking thing 4 months, and am far from veteran status. Look around and listen to the pit vets in here, and believe me you will be astounded by the amount of info. I'm only sorry i got into it so late in life. Would have been nice to have gotten started when meat prices were not so out of hand. [emoji]128546[/emoji]

Hmmm i've done non foiled 2 ways... vertical smoker (uds) but it's a moist heat.

1) i've placed it on a broiling type of rack with chicken broth in the pan ...fat cap up with this method.  The last few hours i remove the pan and flip the butt.

2) i've also just went fat cap down which tends to shield from the direct heat.

Every smoker is different so one persons method might not be good for your smoker. Like i said my smoker tends to be moist anyway (no water pan)

Hmmm i've done non foiled 2 ways... vertical smoker (uds) but it's a moist heat.

1) i've placed it on a broiling type of rack with chicken broth in the pan ...fat cap up with this method.  The last few hours i remove the pan and flip the butt.

2) i've also just went fat cap down which tends to shield from the direct heat.

Every smoker is different so one persons method might not be good for your smoker. Like i said my smoker tends to be moist anyway (no water pan)

Yeah, my smoker is definitely not ideal either. I will keep smokin and trying different methods.

Every butt has it's own temperament, i am discovering. I think fat content, connective tissue content etc. all play a role in retained moisture. I have only been at this smoking thing 4 months, and am far from veteran status. Look around and listen to the pit vets in here, and believe me you will be astounded by the amount of info. I'm only sorry i got into it so late in life. Would have been nice to have gotten started when meat prices were not so out of hand. [emoji]128546[/emoji]

I wish I had started years ago too, it's a lot of fun!

Yep what Dave said about the wet-dry chamber method is along the same lines as what i  mentioned with the pan w/broth and removing it later.  This concept would be especially good for an electric smoker like you use especially since it's a dry heat.

I've went away with water pans for the most part in my smokers because it just doesn't need it.   Remember if you change smokers later such as to propane or charcoal...these methods will change also.   

This is what makes smoking so much fun, each machine is different and each piece of meat is different. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky