Pork belly costs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Two weeks ago, I got a good deal on three sides, 57/lbs. at 1.00/lb. Some one stuck my butcher with 'em. Then after I bought 'em, they decided they had 5 more cartons....LOL

But I hear 2.00 to 2.50/lb is about the going price.

Last edited:
just paid $2.00 a pound here in des moines iowa.  that was for a 55 pound case rind on fresh.

I'm currently paying $2.75-$2.95 per lb, purchased in case quantity (60 lbs) in the Philadelphia Area. This is for Premium level (thick, rectangular) and rind-off.

Indeed there are different grades of belly. We get ours from a combination of sources but they are usually major pork producers. There are two major grades, standard and premium. Standard is thinner and usually not shaped perfectly -- these bellies work great for pancetta since they can be rolled easier. Then the premium are thicker, more rectangular. These are used for bacon.

And there are all kinds of choices - I go for rind/skin off instead of rind on. There are also antibiotic-free versions occasionally available but those I have to order and it takes a couple of weeks. 

My "neighbors" usually have pastured heritage breed pork for sale, all cuts.  Nice folks.

http://www.hickorynutgapfarm.com/

A few days back I was by there and the belly I saw would have graded "premium" as it was about 1 1/2" thick end to end, squared, and skin off for $5.00/lb.  Not bad considering my only other source is "standard", skin on, $2.59/lb and an 80 mile round trip.  If I had any other reason to be in the area it wouldn't be bad, but I don't.

Wanting to try my hand at making bacon to get away from $5lb store bought bacon, I called a local store that has fresh pork bellies....$6.99 a pound..WTH....Guess I will keep searching

Wanting to try my hand at making bacon to get away from $5lb store bought bacon, I called a local store that has fresh pork bellies....$6.99 a pound..WTH....Guess I will keep searching
Holy #$%^!!!

I haven't gotten any for over a year, but I have always paid between $1.89 to $3.29 (without the skin) from small butcher shops around my area.

Bear

I have not gone to check it out, but I have a friend with a Restaurant Depot membership who tells me that bellies are between $1.40-$1.60 lb. I know that's hard to believe, but I'm still trying to get together with him to go and see. If so, I will be doing a large batch this Fall.

$6.99 seems way high unless it is a heritage breed of pork or if it has some other defining characteristic, like it is free-foraging. Otherwise I think that is a rip off.

I'm glad I saw this thread.  I had just placed an order this weekend at a farmers market with a local farm for some belly.  They were charging $8 a lb.  I figured that was high and this thread confirmed it.  Will be canceling that order.

That seems high, no matter what type of hog it was.

In my area, even the heritage breeds that were raised as kindly as possible tend to go for about $5 a lb at the high end. $8, that's just ridiculous. No part of any standard pig should cost $8 per lb raw.

Xsists that seems way above average. What part of this rock do you live around? If ya don't mind too much, could ya enter your profile and add it so I don't have to continiously ask? I hate showing how mentally inept I seem to be becomming.

Xsists that seems way above average. What part of this rock do you live around? If ya don't mind too much, could ya enter your profile and add it so I don't have to continiously ask? I hate showing how mentally inept I seem to be becomming.
Yeah, Brian---Put your little "WI" in your profile, so we know you're from the cold Winters part of the US.

I'm sure somebody from your part of WI can help you find good Pork Belly prices.

Bear

To be honest, I didn't even look around at any of the butchers yet.  The way the people had their things labeled was off the wall.  Everything was super pricey.  I saw a 2lb pork belly for $8 and was like ok, I'll bite.  Then she said that it was per pound price but a 2lb package.  Oh, so $8 a pound?  No thanks.  Didn't get totaled up till the order was all in so just emailed and canceled.

Location updated!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky