Pork belly costs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Just picked up 15# at our local hispanic market for $2.69# yesterday

Up here there is only one place I have found that sells belly and they charge $3.29 a pound for frozen. 

I will stick with buckboard bacon.  Only $1.48 a pound for pork shoulder at Wal-Mart.  Costco has better looking cuts at $1.65 a pound.

Up here there is only one place I have found that sells belly and they charge $3.29 a pound for frozen. 

I will stick with buckboard bacon.  Only $1.48 a pound for pork shoulder at Wal-Mart.  Costco has better looking cuts at $1.65 a pound.

Ouch!'-----What do they get for the store bought Belly Bacon up there?

Bear

Al - 

Glad to find this forum.  I've been looking for pork belly on the MS coast without much luck.  What butcher shop do you use in Slidell...I'll be headed that way soon and would love to find a good source.

Allen

I get Fortenberrys to order them for me.  They are on Hwy 43 in Henleyville  between Picayunne and Crossroads.  If you can't find their number give me a call.  Ask for Lea.  You will have to order min 3 belly case  We are having a big party at my Farm in October and I generally order bellies to make bacon for the event.  I can order an extra case if you can wait till October and  only need one or two.  BTW do a search for SELA 2012  you're invited

Thanks for the info Al.  I'm often at Hide-Away Lake visiting my parents so this should work perfectly. Since I'm sharing with friend,  3-4 bellies is a good amount for us to get started.  I'll give Lea a call and drop your name if you don't mind.

Allen

As I stated in my bacon thread (http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/122734/hickory-smoked-maple-bacon-with-pix)

I've had a heck of a time finding pork bellies. local butcher shops want an arm & a leg for a belly ( 
biggrin.gif
)— anywhere from $7.99/lb to $11.99 for organic, grass-fed pork belly.

Now I've honestly not been to some of the ethnic markets—we've quite a few around here—on my to-do list. But I did find some real quality bellies at Whole Foods for $3.99/lb.

Kevin

I just got an Email from Restaurant Depot. I checked the prices at the N.O. store and they are showing $1.61. Must be nice. My store is about $2.25.

If you have a friend that owns a food place or bar, membership is free and talk them into getting you a card.
icon_confused.gif

Looking at the list for your store, they have stuff that I wish ours had. Must be a regional thing. For BBB, Fresh bone in Butts $1.49

The last Belly I bought here in Tacoma, Wa. was $2.47 per pound and the whole belly was about 12 pounds.

Rich
Rich, did you get that from a butcher, or a local store? Best I've found north of Seattle is $3.98. 

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited:
I used my last pack of bacon from the freezer last weekend, so, no delay, I pick up more.  The price at my place has gone to 1.99/lb with skin on (idividually frozen belly)  OR, I can buy a 50lb box of skin off for 1.49/lb......I think you all know which route I took.  When I picked up the box it was actually 59.7 lbs.  Stay tuned for the largest bacon smoke I will probably ever do! 

Last bacon I made  was in march and I paid 1.89 a pound. I bought a 36 pound box with 3 bellies . I have one package left so I will be making some more real soon. I get mine from a mom and pop store.

Looks like they're a little far for me to go. Any savings would be eaten up in gas. Thanks, though!

I've since found Cash & Carry has 12 lb. boxes of frozen bellies for $2.12 lb., rind on.

Last edited:
Hi Mike, I should have mentioned that I also found Bellies at Cash & Carry. Fact is my very first belly bacon was made from a cash & carry frozen belly. Wasn't sure how people feel about frozen bellies, but I plan to use them again and again.

Rich

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky